Dungeon stocking/treasure question

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Mazirian

Dungeon stocking/treasure question

Post by Mazirian »

I am currently creating a megadungeon for BFRPG, and I am stocking most of it randomly. I am using xp for treasure, so gold is quite important to players.

I noticed that many creatures of HD 1 or two have treasure type "none", but I am unsure as to whether I should include treasure in such rooms if designated by the random stocking table. Sorry if this question has been asked before, but I would love to hear a response. :D
orobouros

Re: Dungeon stocking/treasure question

Post by orobouros »

Easiest thing, leave it as it is. Not all monsters carry treasure, especially undead and beasts, who have no real use for it. Treasure is the goal of exploring, and if certain kinds of monsters generally don't have any, it's good information for the players to decide if getting into a fight is worth the risk.

Of course, if every group of giant ants has no treasure, adding one with a platinum bracelet around its antenna would clue them in on (a) treasure and (b) something about the ants being different. So using your judgement is important here. You could add "misplaced" treasure on any group of monsters if you roll a 20 on d20 every time you place monsters.

And of course, certain monsters guard treasure, either placed there as guards (skeletons come to mind) or because their meals were dragged into a barrow where the treasure now lies. Don't just plop down a monster that's waiting for the party to come by and kill (or be killed by) it. Carrion crawlers have holes. Giant bats have roosts. They might not have treasure on them per se, but they might have treasure around them.
Mazirian

Post by Mazirian »

Thank you, this cleared it up well. I can now see the logic in not differing from the stated treasure of "none" for certain monsters.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

If the room calls for "monster with treasure" but the monster has no treasure type, you could:

-- Omit the treasure
-- Roll an "unguarded" treasure that just happens to be here (i.e. it doesn't "belong" to the monsters)
-- Swap the monster rolled into another room where you rolled just "monster"

I have been known to do all of the above.

Incidentally, did you know I started a megadungeon, called "Megadungeon" on the cover? It's in the Workshop somewhere...
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org