Here we go, 1st session with Morgansfort...any advice?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Here we go, 1st session with Morgansfort...any advice?

Post by Solomoriah »

tvance929 wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:17 pmBut if that is the right way, does the caster's wisdom/intelligence/level factor into that saving throw at all? I feel like it should as the better the caster is, the harder it should be to save against it BUT I couldnt find that spelled (tee hee) out in the book... maybe I missed it, I havent scoured for it yet.
Caster ability scores do not affect spells normally. You may, of course, house rule it however you want.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
tvance929

Post by tvance929 »

thanks!!! I might later on ....
orobouros

Post by orobouros »

Key thing, which you probably hit on, is that old school renaissance gaming keeps the idea of "rulings not rules" central. Don't sweat the details too much (you'll get used to them quickly, don't worry). Just keep the game going, and if you made a mistake, either ignore it for now (to keep the game going) or admit you made a mistake (so that nobody feels cheated and you can all agree on how to handle it in the future).

OSR style adventures tend to force players into creative solutions than just trying to smash their way through enemies. At which point the situation is working in their favor (or against them, if they planned poorly), and the exact details of the dice rolls matter a little less.

One thing that works well for me (almost always) is to make rulings in favor of the players if they're creative and really placing themselves into the game world. Sure, you could roll for stealth, and attack, and damage if players come up with a smart way of sneaking up on an enemy. Giving them reasonable bonuses on each roll, of course. Or, maybe they just get the first enemy killed for a good plan, after which the battle with the remaining two start. The players feel rewarded for actually doing something (instead of getting lucky dice rolls), and encouraged to think instead of just roll dice.
rredmond

Post by rredmond »

Just to reiterate what orobouros and the others have said, as long as your rulings are fair (and consistent) it's always better to keep the game rolling rather than look things up. :) If you realize that the rule book says something different, and you want to do that, then just let the PCs know so it remains fair and consistent.

Sounds like you and your crew are having great fun! Glad to hear it and can't wait to continue to follow what happens!
Player of Will Thornton in Dirigible of Doom!
Unseen Servant PbP Forums!
CptClyde: I predict a TPK at the hands of a blind, lame goblin.
teaman: She'll break your heart. And your wrist.
Tazer_The_Yoot

Post by Tazer_The_Yoot »

Keep notes, too, on what house rules or rulings you come up with. Especially if your players are fond of attempting the same sorts of non-codified actions over and over. By keeping notes, you'll make consistent rulings. At the end of the day, what matters is that you call for a consistent roll and that the desired results are uncertain but attainable.

Now, for me, BFRPG is about conversations between the GM and players, meaning that the main principle of the game is fiction first. Have them really get into character and describe what they're doing in this make believe world as this make believe person. Hell, if it's entertaining and detailed enough, those dice can just stay on the table nine times out of ten. We all love rolling dice but those tend to be reserved for life and death situations like traps and combat in my campaign.
tvance929

Post by tvance929 »

good call and I didnt do it but I know we've already made up a couple new rules ( dual wield, starting stats, etc ) that I know I've forgotten :( I'll make sure to note them next time.
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

tvance929 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:32 am good call and I didnt do it but I know we've already made up a couple new rules ( dual wield, starting stats, etc ) that I know I've forgotten :( I'll make sure to note them next time.
Take a look at the various supplements to either find a rule or get an idea of what to aim for. I believe the combat options supplement has dual wield rules.

I have a 19 page google document that covers all the house rules, supplement rules used, and additional character information such as backgrounds.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Combat Options does have Two Weapon Combat. I loathe the words "dual wield."
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

Solomoriah wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:00 am Combat Options does have Two Weapon Combat. I loathe the words "dual wield."
I just woke up shortly before seeing the post and drew a blank on the actual title of the section.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

S'awright. Just my personal issues...