Magic-User Cantrips

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
BusterBluth

Magic-User Cantrips

Post by BusterBluth »

I'm interested in getting feedback on ideas that hit me for cantrips for the magic-user. In the 0-level spells supplement, it seemed to me that the Cleric cantrips were of more immediate utility than the magic-user's. My kid plays in my game and he struggles with being able to get any use of out the listed cantrips in that supplement, so I thought perhaps these might foot the bill.

Hinder – range 60’, reduce initiative result for an opponent by 1d4 in current round or 1d6 for next round.

Pummel – range 30’, fire bubbles of force toward an opponent (make attack roll + DEX bonus + Attack Bonus, 1d2 subdual damage). NOTE - we have a house rule that tracks subdual damage (from kicks, punches, or special weapons like blackjack). If subdual dmg >= hp, your character goes unconscious.

Shadowed – range self, shadows briefly wrap about the caster until attacked or until end of current round, forcing the next ranged attack to re-roll.

Detect Magic, Minor – as per Detect Magic, but can only target 1 touched or held item.

Sticky – range 30’, Reduce the speed of a target by the lessor of 5’ or by half. Target gets no Save.

Slide – Range is self; Add 5’ bonus movement to caster for a single round; will incur no parting shots from opponents

Nervous – range 30’; reduce the target’s Morale by 1d3 points, if the target is eligible for Morale checks (must have Morale less than 12) and if the target is of same or lesser HD than the caster. Affected targets have their morale tested separately from their group.

Empower – Range is self; add +1 damage to the next spell cast within the same turn.

Hesitant – Range is 30’; the target’s attack roll is reduced by 1d2 on its next attack within the turn, if its saving throw vs Spells is failed.

Silver tongued - cast on a target after a reaction roll; add 1d3 to the reaction roll result

What do you think? Is this overpowered? Personally, I really like the minor version of Detect Magic, and things that can help give the vulnerable mage a bit of defense.
orobouros

Re: Magic-User Cantrips

Post by orobouros »

I think it's important to provide a balance in the game. The Magic User is already very powerful. Even magic missile can be a game changer if used right. Even the armored fighter is going to need to rest and heal after a battle (at first level), so it's not so likely that the magic user will need to use another spell again before resting up and regaining the spell slot. (Also, they can do things like use slings or carry lanterns or drop caltrops or toss bearings or such.)

Some of these cantrips could be a bit unbalancing. You can always balance things with a chance of failure or adverse effect. In my games, cantrips/orizons are never guaranteed to work, and if failed, the PC can't cast cantrips/orizons until after a full rest. So you have to be judicious with their use. Or, have the opposite happen if a check is failed on using these. Trying to hinder an opponent? You failed and now you hindered yourself.
teaman

Post by teaman »

The clerics and wizards in my campaign use the zero level spells as written and we don't have any noticeable imbalance.

One suggestion I might have is to start the campaign at level 3 (or higher, if you prefer). If the issue is that magic-users are too brittle and don't have enough spells at lower level, consider starting a bit higher.

But in the end, it's your game. That's what's great about the hobby.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
Tazer_The_Yoot

Post by Tazer_The_Yoot »

I start all PCs with 15,000 xp when DMing Basic Fantasy RPG. Also, maxed out hit dice for those first levels, but you have to roll from then on out.

This means Magic-Users will be level 3 with at least 12 hp and a handful of spells.

I also use a variation of Gary Gygax's houserules, awarding M-Us with Intelligence score of 15 or higher one additional first level spell. (Same with Clerics and Wisdom.)

If players still don't feel prepared enough for adventure at that point, they can familiarize themselves with the henchman mechanics of BFRPG, because the more warm bodies on a given expedition, the better one's chances of survival. (Obvious exception would be stealth missions, or missions where an evil Priest turns one's minions against you, but those are exceptions.)
teaman

Post by teaman »

Tazer_The_Yoot wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:00 am I start all PCs with 15,000 xp when DMing Basic Fantasy RPG. Also, maxed out hit dice for those first levels, but you have to roll from then on out.

This means Magic-Users will be level 3 with at least 12 hp and a handful of spells.

I also use a variation of Gary Gygax's houserules, awarding M-Us with Intelligence score of 15 or higher one additional first level spell. (Same with Clerics and Wisdom.)

If players still don't feel prepared enough for adventure at that point, they can familiarize themselves with the henchman mechanics of BFRPG, because the more warm bodies on a given expedition, the better one's chances of survival. (Obvious exception would be stealth missions, or missions where an evil Priest turns one's minions against you, but those are exceptions.)
This sounds similar to how I do things especially the max hp. One could also use starting hp=Constitution score too.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
Tazer_The_Yoot

Post by Tazer_The_Yoot »

I should mention that I probably got my math very wrong there, since it was from memory how much xp a level 3 Magic-User has. The main point stands.
Clever_Munkey

Post by Clever_Munkey »

I generally like your new cantrips, but they do seem a little strong. At one point I modified and added a few cantrips to my house rule set, but they seem to have been lost to time (or at least until I get back to my desktop in the states). I do remember a few things though.

First I made it so all negative effects from 0-level spells granted a saving throw with a +5 bonus (based off the precedent of the charm person saving throw, although +6 or +7 might not be uncalled for). This changes the chance of a successful spell from 80% to 55% (for 1HD creatures), which I think is much more suitable, and helps balance out even otherwise "powerful" effects. It also makes it clear that these spells are significantly inferior to any 1st level "equivalent." Because even if the spell only affects one thing instead of multiple, or gives a reduced effect, sometimes all that matters is that they are affected at all. Like a fireball that does Xd6 damage in an area is equally as good (arguably worse) compared to a "firebolt" that does Xd6 to one target if the party is only fighting one enemy. The same applies to many other debuffing effects, since the smallest debuff to a roll is -1, and that can make a really big difference even in just one round (5% less likely to hit, means the fighter might not take damage, which means they might be able to take another battle).

I generally took away clerics' ability to debuff, and gave it to MU's. This was more thematic than anything, but it also means that clerics are generally more successful at creating (mostly) equal combat effects because there is no saving throw.

I renamed "Curse" to "Hex" because I have a different spell called Curse.

I combined some of the cantrips (clean, flavor, knot, inscribe?, open?) into one "Prestidigitation/legerdemain/whatever" spell, and added the ability to create a spark for lighting flammable objects.

I made it clear that "transfigure" could be used to make a knife sized weapon (for 1d3 damage) or other small tool (such as a lock pick).

I made it so that "Exterminate" does 1 damage to swarms of the described creatures.

I also added a few spells, but the only ones I can remember right now are:
"Conjure" which lets you temporarily create up to 27 cubic inches of nondescript "matter" (generally to be used with transfiguration).
"Doze" which puts a target to sleep (after a save with the +5 bonus), where the sleep is non-magical and otherwise perfectly normal so noise can wake them (unlike the "Sleep" spell).
"Guard" which was a Cleric orison that provided a +1 AC buff for one round, and the reverse was a MU cantrip called "impair".

I think if I use your cantrips I'm going to impose the +5 to saving throws rule just to keep things consistent with my rules.
Call me Joe. Mr. Munkey is my father.