New to Basic Fantasy

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
xevenwood

New to Basic Fantasy

Post by xevenwood »

Hey there! I'm xevenwood. I just joined the forums and wanted to introduce myself. I'm pretty new to Basic Fantasy and other OSR games. I started playing tabletop games and TTRPGs about 5 or 6 years ago, so I'm no veteran of the genre either. Is there any recommendations for a new GM, and new players? My group is used to playing games like D&D 5e if that helps.

Also, what posts should I look at in regards to creating game content? I'm looking to adapt my fantasy writings into adventure modules and source books, and like how open Basic Fantasy is for people to access and play.

Thanks,

xevenwood
Metroknight

Re: New to Basic Fantasy

Post by Metroknight »

First thing is to remember that BFRPG and other OSR systems are more lethal than 5e. Stress to your players that running away from an encounter or avoiding the encounter is a totally valid action to do. If they do choose to go into combat, they need to be sure to weight the odds to their favor such as range attacks, ambushes, tricks and traps, etc. If they just wade into combat, they will have a high chance of suffering a lethal encounter.

Depends on what you mean by the implied question
xevenwood wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:11 pm like how open Basic Fantasy is for people to access and play.
The pdf's are free, all of them. There is the odt (LibreOffice file format) source files posted with the pdfs so you can edit them to reflect your game. You can purchase the core rules for about 5 dollars on amazon and lulu.

For what posts to look at, I would suggest digging around in the workshop forum and reading what catches your eye.
xevenwood

Post by xevenwood »

Thanks Metroknight, I'll keep the lethal nature of the game in mind. I'll also have to dig around the workshop too.
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

Another thing to remember is that there is not a rule for everything so as a GM you might be needed to make a ruling (this is different from a rule) or judgement call.

Take the all time favorite of someone that is not a thief that wants to sneak up on someone. Well thieves have the move silently skill but non-thieves don't, what are you (the GM) to do? Do you allow them the attempt and just apply a modifier to the opponent's surprise check (pg 43)? Do you just use the ability rolls (pg 153) or just house rule everyone has a 10% chance to move silently but thieves are better at it and can improve?

Be consistent when you make a ruling (take notes for later reference) so that if you discover it is something you regularly use, it can be turned into a house rule.
Tazer_The_Yoot

Post by Tazer_The_Yoot »

For that matter, to elaborate on what to roll and when to roll, it isn't necessarily always going to come down to a roll in OSR. There are very many schools of thought on this. If you want to do a deep dive into OSR as a theory and a style of unique RP play, check out Principia Apocrypha.

Also, if you're the fellow who recently made the thread at the OSR subreddit, I'm happy to see you joined us here. Or even if you're not. I'm happy to see you either way. We all are. The more the merrier!
teaman

Post by teaman »

Metroknight wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:48 pm Another thing to remember is that there is not a rule for everything so as a GM you might be needed to make a ruling (this is different from a rule) or judgement call.

Take the all time favorite of someone that is not a thief that wants to sneak up on someone. Well thieves have the move silently skill but non-thieves don't, what are you (the GM) to do? Do you allow them the attempt and just apply a modifier to the opponent's surprise check (pg 43)? Do you just use the ability rolls (pg 153) or just house rule everyone has a 10% chance to move silently but thieves are better at it and can improve?

Be consistent when you make a ruling (take notes for later reference) so that if you discover it is something you regularly use, it can be turned into a house rule.
Another option is the ability rolls with multiple d6's:

Standard kind of action, roll your ability or under with 3d6
More difficult or out of your specialty: roll 4d6 or even 5d6

Or just look at the situation and see whether it is reasonable. A lot of times I just say "Ah, that's probably not gonna work." If you are good to your players most of the time, they will roll with it.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
xevenwood

Post by xevenwood »

Tazer_The_Yoot wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:29 pm Also, if you're the fellow who recently made the thread at the OSR subreddit, I'm happy to see you joined us here. Or even if you're not. I'm happy to see you either way. We all are. The more the merrier!
I did not start a thread on the OSR subreddit, but I'll have to check it out! :lol:
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

I've promoted BFRPG multiple times in various threads on Reddit when people ask about what system would be good to start in. I think I know which thread is mentioned.
tvance929

Post by tvance929 »

Welcome!!! I'm fairly new too (just a couple months) and LOVE THE SYSTEM! And the community...good to have you here!
teaman

Post by teaman »

Another quick thought is that they don't have to start out at first level. I tend to start players out at third.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games