2 Questions

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
cbarchuk

2 Questions

Post by cbarchuk »

Hey there,

I'm currently running the Chaotic Caves adventure and had a question about initiative and elven items. I'm a huge fan of the B/X d&d. BFRPG really captures that vibe very well while adding some modern conveniences. But one thing I'm find tedious is rolling initiative. Would there be a disturbance in the force if I use the old B/X rule for initiative of just rolling a D6 for the heroes and one for the monsters? I know I can do whatever but I just want to make sure that balance isn't ruined for some reason that I'm not aware of.
And lastly I have a 3rd level thief at my table who is wearing both the Elven Cloak and Elven Boots. With these items is it fair to say that a thief can backstab with impunity assuming he doesn't fail his success rolls? These items seem quite powerful.

Finally...Thanks!!!!
Metroknight

Re: 2 Questions

Post by Metroknight »

Using the B/X won't truly break anything but you might notice that if the monster's side get to go first, they might wreck havoc on the PCs and if the PC side goes first, there is a good chance that the PCs will end the fight without being hurt.

Now one alternative I have used is take the highest DEX mod (for PCs) applied to the roll. The winner chooses which character goes first then the other side has one go and this goes back and forth till everyone has completed their actions.
cbarchuk

Post by cbarchuk »

Metroknight wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:30 pm Using the B/X won't truly break anything but you might notice that if the monster's side get to go first, they might wreck havoc on the PCs and if the PC side goes first, there is a good chance that the PCs will end the fight without being hurt.

Now one alternative I have used is take the highest DEX mod (for PCs) applied to the roll. The winner chooses which character goes first then the other side has one go and this goes back and forth till everyone has completed their actions.
Interesting point. So was this an issue in B/X as well?
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

Back when I started with B/X it was an issue of one side would get to go before the other side but we also failed to consider this is all happening at the same time. The initiative is more of mechanic to help with figuring out who goes first in declaring their actions. All results happen at the same time though, not as it is rolled.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

If you are rolling players vs monsters, a good idea is to roll for monster groups.

You can roll initiative (individual or per group) once per encounter, but this could lead to advantageous and disadvantageous situations like a MU stuck with a low INI value.

Another option could be: Roll once (either individually or grouped) per X rounds (maybe e/3-4rnds)

Finally, a more involved and tactical one: Roll Nd6* initiative dice (either individually or grouped) arrange higher to lower and then use the first one, the second d6 on the second round and so forth, then cycle thru those values. This will keep initiative fluid but will make players and the gm know future initiative values, which can lead to tactical thinking.

As for the elven boots and cloak: If I recall correctly these items will give you skills similar to hide and move silently, only difference being that the cloak allows for movement. The character will have greater chances of try a backstab, but he still need to land the attack.

Maybe this can help, curiously its a post made by you with the same post name :lol:
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Snarkythekobold

Post by Snarkythekobold »

In my group, we just swapped over to using the simple one-side-goes-then-the-other technique and it works quite well. Yes, there is the chance (big chance!) that an enemy can attack two times in a row but that keeps fighting interesting and may lead low level PC's to stay from fighting (which is better than just being murder hobos!).

You can also just roll for initiative once and run with that which will nullify the chance of one side attacking two times in a row. I think that is what I will ultimately roll with.

The benefit of one side attacking at once is that it can lead to the PC's being more strategic and cooperative in battle . . . instead of saying, "I do this" and not think what others in their group are doing. I think that is the downside of individual initiative; it can kind of lead to an "I'm going to do this" mentality instead of it being a group effort.
cbarchuk

Post by cbarchuk »

Dimirag wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:55 am If you are rolling players vs monsters, a good idea is to roll for monster groups.

You can roll initiative (individual or per group) once per encounter, but this could lead to advantageous and disadvantageous situations like a MU stuck with a low INI value.

Another option could be: Roll once (either individually or grouped) per X rounds (maybe e/3-4rnds)

Finally, a more involved and tactical one: Roll Nd6* initiative dice (either individually or grouped) arrange higher to lower and then use the first one, the second d6 on the second round and so forth, then cycle thru those values. This will keep initiative fluid but will make players and the gm know future initiative values, which can lead to tactical thinking.

As for the elven boots and cloak: If I recall correctly these items will give you skills similar to hide and move silently, only difference being that the cloak allows for movement. The character will have greater chances of try a backstab, but he still need to land the attack.

Maybe this can help, curiously its a post made by you with the same post name :lol:
I completely forgot about that...lol. So just to be clear can someone with the Elven Cloak literally hide in plain sight?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

The rules don't say what happens when a character puts the hood in plain sight, so... GM call applies here.

My ruling would be: If the character remains still, he will be concealed, but character knowing where the character was may attack that place (maybe with a penalty), if the character moves then roll as normal
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
cbarchuk

Post by cbarchuk »

Dimirag wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:29 pm The rules don't say what happens when a character puts the hood in plain sight, so... GM call applies here.

My ruling would be: If the character remains still, he will be concealed, but character knowing where the character was may attack that place (maybe with a penalty), if the character moves then roll as normal
Thanks for the advice. I have a thief in my game that is running around like an invisible ninja backstabbing everything. Very good items for thieves.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

:evil: Fireball trap against thief... item damaged/destroyed... you will contemplate this after the thief runs roughshod over your plans. There are magical effects/items that belong in the hands of more powerful characters than third level.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?