BFRPG Introductory Adventure

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Nekron99

BFRPG Introductory Adventure

Post by Nekron99 »

Being an "Essential' worker I do not get to get an unpaid vacation like most, but that does not mean I am not bored.
So with that, I am finally going to get back to work on my BFRPG introductory adventure.
Question is, What things would you like to see?
I mean I have the basic scenario, the setting, but what sort of tasks should be put forward for first timers and new players? And first time DM's as well.

Thief: Dex based, Pick locks, Find Traps, Hear Noise.
Magic-User: Int based, Identify magic, Cast a spell, Read magic.
Cleric: Wis based, Turn undead, Use Religious knowledge, Heal
Fighter: Str based, Open doors, Bend bars/Lift gates, Fight (obviously)

The party can enter the dungeon, the Thief would have to pick the lock on a door, then move silently into the dungeon, possibly finding the first pit fall trap.
The Magic-User interprets the magical scroll found in the bottom of the pit.
Entering a room there might be two or three skeletons, the Cleric attempts to turn. If not then fight.
Fighter has to bash down a door or lift the portcullis blocking the way.
The Cleric and Magic-User interpret the warnings of final room written on the door.
Thief opens door after using hear noise (or not) so they know the BBG is inside.
Big final fight. Search for secret doors finds the treasure, Cleric heals party member, and they exit.

Granted, it may never go the planned route (players..Go figure), but the obstacles are there for the specific classes to use skills. The Fighter may bash the locked door, the group fails all of their rolls and ends up dead at the bottom of the first pit, or a rat can kill them.
But....What do you think of the basic premise?
What would you like to see for a first time player to experience?
Not going for some big story arc, that is for later.

I had planned on putting in side blocks of info from the Main Rule book so that say for instance at the point the Thief could pick the lock or the Fighter could Bash the door, there is a hint of where to look and what to roll.
Like I said, this is a very basic and introductory adventure. It is based on my starter adventure I made up for my players who started in Morgansfort so they could have just a smidgen of experience before heading to the Old Island Fort. That one was written with me knowing my players and their probable actions, so it was made for my group, but this one I want to be more generic for anyone.

Thoughts? Ideas? Opinions?
Player: I drink the potion!
DM: Are you sure you want to do that?
Player: Um, no. Maybe, Why, do you think it would be stupid?
Seven

Re: BFRPG Introductory Adventure

Post by Seven »

I think the basic thief ability is to remove traps, not to find them.
The success rates at first level are pretty low, so, it's better to take it easy there.
No huge negative consequences for failing a hard roll.
In an old crypt, poison might have gone stale and traps might fail to work properly.
The exception is climb wall, your basic break and enter ability.
That has a decent success rate.
Of course, you can always adjust the rolls.

For the wizard, it depends on what spell he has.
Sleep isn't very useful against undeads in a crypt.

I think key elements for new players are roleplaying and developing team strategies.
For the roleplay, I like to give each player his own objectives and motivations that he can share or keep private as he wishes and work that into the adventure.
For the strategies, I use weak monsters who rely on teamwork as an example.
Obviously, there's nothing wrong with working on the mechanics.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I look forward to seeing the adventure; however, as there are not actually any materials in this thread, it's not a Workshop thread. All threads in the Workshop must include game materials, however incomplete they may be. So I'm kicking this over to General Discussion.

Whenever you upload the first version of the adventure, nekron, please feel free to attach it to your first post and we'll move it back to the Workshop.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Nekron99

Post by Nekron99 »

Roger that, my bad.
Player: I drink the potion!
DM: Are you sure you want to do that?
Player: Um, no. Maybe, Why, do you think it would be stupid?