Holy Water and the rules

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Holy Water and the rules

Post by Solomoriah »

I would assume consecrated oils are as effective as holy water if applied directly to the undead. And yes, holy water poured on the ground is generally ruined.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Holy/Consecrated Oil could have a stronger effect if its more expensive or harder to do, maybe a damage bonus or lasting some time like fire or acid...

Flaming Holy/Consecrated Oil could exist by using some other kind of oil, similar to supernatural's holy oil, and could have a similar effect unless you want to throw a holy molotov....
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Seven

Post by Seven »

Yes. It's known as the Holy Hand Grenade.
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

Seven wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:01 am Yes. It's known as the Holy Hand Grenade.
Remember to count to three before throwing it.
SmootRK wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:07 pm
Seven wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:27 am Can you bless oil instead of water? How much damage would holy oil do?
What if you pour holy oil on the ground and the undeads trip on it?
And then you throw a torch in it?
Of course each GM is up to his own whims, but again coming from Catholic circles, one cannot create Holy Oil in the sense of your idea of flammable oil. Just doesn't exist.

That said, Catholics do consecrate holy oils for anointing (rubbing small amount on head/chest during certain ceremonies like baptism, first communion, etc. but I do not know of the flammable qualities of this. I doubt it, as it seems more of the olive oil sort of oil than a petroleum/kerosine-sort of oil.

Of course, these ideas come from the real world ideals about Holy Water. In a game, where there are definitely other "gods" and beings with different dominions would each certainly have differences in what substances they consider for Holy endeavors. A god of fire, for instance, might actually prefer a Holy Flammable Oil and completely reject the idea of utilizing H2O (antithesis of Fire, eh?). So my true and full answer would perhaps be modeled on the deity in question.
Remember there is also a consecrated oil used to anoint royalty during the coronation ceremonies. (Although its been a while since the British have had to use any. May it be a while before they have to use it again.) Would this type of oil have any game functionality? Give the anointed an extra point of CHR? or INT? Just an idea.
Seven

Post by Seven »

I think historically, it's meant to provide immunity to diseases.
It would be nice to have a wise king, but it's pointless if he doesn't have longevity.
Also, as history has shown, you can always have them assassinated, executed or euthanised, if appropriate.

As "Defender of the Faith", the ruler is best represented as a paladin.
Seven

Post by Seven »

How about Unholy Water?
Is there such a thing?
What does it do? Heal undead?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

"Unholy" water isn't a "thing" in the official rules. Individual GMs can do as they wish, of course, but outright healing the undead would be rather unbalancing since unholy water would be a lot cheaper than a potion.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Seven

Post by Seven »

Well, you still need to throw it and hit the injured ones.
And while the evil cleric is doing that, he's not doing anything else.
Something to play test, maybe make the "healing" gradual like 1 point per round...
I wouldn't expect it to be cheap. Evil deities are not generous.

Can holy water be used to desecrate an evil altar?
(Like horrible noise and the thing split in two...)
Wouldn't the evil guys have something similar?
I guess the can always use brute force.

What about Turning Undead by Evil Clerics?
What does that do?
Normal turn? Cancel turn by a good cleric? Gain control of the undeads?
In the old material, Evil Clerics could turn Paladins and Good Creatures, but doesn't come into play much here.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Unholy water would damage "holy" creatures like celestials, maybe it could harm high level clerics and other "holy" characters
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/