BFRPG book purchases

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
GrimlinJoe

BFRPG book purchases

Post by GrimlinJoe »

Hello all,

Hope everyone is doing well. So I will make this quick and short. Though I have already downloaded the current library of PDFs available here in the downloads page and already own a physical copy of the core rules (debating on buying the hardcover still, I'm a sucker for hardcover rule books) I wanted to start putting together a library of the physical printing of books for Basic fantasy. If you had to make a must buy list (I know all of the books are must buys) what order should one buy the books? What books are essential first buys and what are the must have nostalgia books? I'm loving all the rich stories that have been associated with the modules that are available so far and cant wait to see what else you guys come up with. BFRPG= my new addiction :D
toddlyons

Re: BFRPG book purchases

Post by toddlyons »

Every time I needed $5-10 more to get free Amazon shipping, I'd add a module or two. I now have all 11 books in print (plus my Lulu hardcover of the core rules). It's a treat. Every time I needed to order something, there was something just for fun in the box.

I think the Field Guide is a good first purchase, but for 5 bucks each on average, I recommend to just buy everything, eventually. I have a comb-bound copy of CS2 that I made at home which turned out great, but I'd have bought it as a softcover too, if it was available.

Of the PDFs you've downloaded, which guides or modules are your favourites? I started with J.D. Neal (Monkey Isle, Saga of the Giants) and liked them both a lot.
GrimlinJoe

Post by GrimlinJoe »

So far CS2 has been my favorite. Though it is the only module I've completed so far. I was also a big fan of BF1. I like what it had to offer with how well the content was put together. Definitely a module you can spend a lot of time on.
Bumblepig

Post by Bumblepig »

Probably have had the most fun running the Zombraire's Estate (AA1), Coldarious (Strongholds of Sorcery), Call of Doom (CS1), and Monkey Isle.
There are lots more I wanna try.
GrimlinJoe

Post by GrimlinJoe »

Oh yeah I guess the adventure anthologies would rank pretty high on the priority list.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

You ran Tower of Coldarius, Bumble? What did you think of it? Any specific feedback would be appreciated!
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Bumblepig

Post by Bumblepig »

Solomoriah wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:44 pm You ran Tower of Coldarius, Bumble? What did you think of it? Any specific feedback would be appreciated!
Oh yeah! I did run Coldarius and we really enjoyed it. The adventure hook was customized for our campaign re: the identity of Rafaela, but that didn't really matter.
Our heroes were successful in driving Coldarius from his lair, but not in time to save Rafaela. They ended up searching the entire tower for essentially her corpse, which coincidentally was in the very last room they looked in. The players spent a long time pondering portal to moon mist Moore, suspecting Rafaela was in there. Haha.
Rooms and the way they were stocked were totally appropriate for a vampire wizard lair. There were several good encounters. The only one I needed to tweak was the 3 pitch skeletons with their army of skeletons. I thought that overpowering so I cut the numbers of skeletons to give a chance of survival.
Coldarius was defeated but managed to change form and escape. So he's a good npc foe for another day. My players are already scared of vampires so this is a good turn of events.
I had one question though...why is Nocturnia a sword? Of course Coldarius would spend all this time and effort creating something he could use himself, but he's a vampire wizard, not a fighter. I get that technically a vampire is a monster rather than a class with class limitations, but I figure that class history should still apply. So...blasphemy of blasphemies...I made Nocturnia a dagger. It still packs quite a punch though...
All in all...great adventure.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Nocturnia is a sword because he had more nocturnium than he needed to make a mere dagger. Also, powerful wizards in my campaign are often known by the swords they make, or at least, that was historically true.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Bumblepig

Post by Bumblepig »

Gotcha. Well a mighty dagger is not quite as impressive as a mighty sword. :)
And the idea is to rescue Rafaela before the weapon gets made, but that didn't happen in this case
GrimlinJoe

Post by GrimlinJoe »

Love hearing these stories from campaigns