New to DMing and in need of tips

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
GrimlinJoe

New to DMing and in need of tips

Post by GrimlinJoe »

I'm still a bit new to the ttrpg scene and so far my only experience with Basic Fantasy stems from a few solo sessions based on a "campaign" that I've been storyboarding and work shopping for a few months now. I recently met some people through discord who are also newer to Basic fantasy and were looking to start with some play by post sessions where I would DM.

My problem that I'm running into is that I have plenty of inspiration to create characters and stories and master plots but when it comes to structuring it into campaign for other players I begin to doubt what I have put together and that it might now actually work well to be played as a campaign.

I've already created a world and a region, a central antagonist and starting quest line. A majority of the campaign outside of primary questline would be mostly random generation as to not railroad the party. I've placed in a few ethical choices for the party to have to make that would influence the story a bit and once we come to the end of this chain of events it would open up the rest of the world. I made it so as they get closer to the end it would give me a better idea as to where to grow the story based on what I have learned from the sessions and the party members.

So I now all that sounds like a have a grasp on what I'm doing but once I put it into a campaign layout I instantly feel like I won't know how to guide the story.

Is this a confidence issue? Any tips if you have any would be much appreciated. Maybe just new DM jitters?
CptClyde

Re: New to DMing and in need of tips

Post by CptClyde »

I'd say you are just experiencing what every GM feels before launching their campaign (or before every single session for me). You do indeed sound like you have a lot of prep done already, much more than I've done possibly ever! So you need not worry about preping more material I would say.
This is the crux of the GM experience. That feeling of standing on the edge of a cliff with your storyline and NPC lined parachute on your back and peering over the edge trying to mentally prepare to jump. The fact is however that you'll never know if your parachute will properly deploy until you jump. You may crash and burn horrbily but luckily you can try again with RPGs (not so much with base jumping).
You just have to get in there and give'r, improvising and thinking on your feet as much as possible. Because characters will ALWAYS mess up your plans. So no point in preparing too much.
Great work, good luck and HAVE FUN!
GrimlinJoe

Post by GrimlinJoe »

Thanks hearing that definitely made me feel a lot better
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Just dive in... matters not if you make any mistakes. Once you start to feel more at-home with it, you will see where you need to fine-tune anything.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Let the player guide the story, focus on filling blanks and on creating the outcome of their actions.
Create seeds of adventure in case they wander off, and have handy a couple of npc to put on their way as needed.

As time goes by you'll learn your way of gming and learn the way your table plays, combining those 2 will bring you great gaming times.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

GrimlinJoe wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:52 am I'm still a bit new to the ttrpg scene and so far my only experience with Basic Fantasy stems from a few solo sessions based on a "campaign" that I've been storyboarding and work shopping for a few months now. I recently met some people through discord who are also newer to Basic fantasy and were looking to start with some play by post sessions where I would DM.

My problem that I'm running into is that I have plenty of inspiration to create characters and stories and master plots but when it comes to structuring it into campaign for other players I begin to doubt what I have put together and that it might now actually work well to be played as a campaign.

I've already created a world and a region, a central antagonist and starting quest line. A majority of the campaign outside of primary questline would be mostly random generation as to not railroad the party. I've placed in a few ethical choices for the party to have to make that would influence the story a bit and once we come to the end of this chain of events it would open up the rest of the world. I made it so as they get closer to the end it would give me a better idea as to where to grow the story based on what I have learned from the sessions and the party members.

So I now all that sounds like a have a grasp on what I'm doing but once I put it into a campaign layout I instantly feel like I won't know how to guide the story.

Is this a confidence issue? Any tips if you have any would be much appreciated. Maybe just new DM jitters?
GremlinJoe, you will do well. I still get anxious when I post the edit of an adventure, not knowing how well an author will take the critique of the adventure being edited. And even my attempts at writing an adventure, to me seem unworthy. But if you look over the comments the artists all give each other is not tearing each other down, but encouragement. Even among the authors here the general consensus is encouragement, put it out there and when it is reviewed we will not tear down your hard work, we will help you make it better and as time goes on you'll be able to encourage even newer authors too. The encouragement of everyone is one of the biggest draws for me to help with BFRPG. Each of the other authors has had the same doubts at one time or another, continue to work at it, write some every day. If your passion is art, draw every day. We would love to see your work and have it as a part of the great community. One thing I like to say and live by is, "Learn something new everyday." Learning how to write your adventures could be your next goal, help edit or write a full book of adventures can come later.

In the end just take a deep breath, say a prayer, and leap at the opportunity to share. We are here to support you.
Snarkythekobold

Post by Snarkythekobold »

Go watch someone else GM a game. Watching Matt Finch GM his "Swords of Jordoba" on Youtube has been huge for me. He just has fun with it and you can tell that he is improvising a lot. Everyone is having lots of laughs and a good time.

Keep a list of names. You're going to need some random NPC's and all you've got to do is pull a name and run with it.

Roll for Random Encounters and have fun with them when you roll one.

Keep your rules on the GM screen or somewhere handy. Make sure your rule book is properly tabbed to get you the information quickly.

Keep a little notebook and jot down important info as you go.

Let your players do what they want to do . . . but don't be afraid of ramping things up with encounters, terrain changes, or other means of getting the ball rolling.

When combat occurs, don't just have your enemies stand and hack and slash all the time. Do morale checks and have them run if that's the roll (and then have the monster(s) sneak back). Have monsters try to parlay. Throw another monster into the mix while the fight is on . . . keep it interesting because combat can become a grind (and boring).

Have all the material that players will need ready: player sheets, pencils, sharpener, dry/ wet erase map, markers for the map, miniatures (if using), snacks, etc.

Go through and cross reference your material so that you are not flipping through stuff and getting nervous.

Know the rules. Know the rules. Know the rules. Did I mention that you should know the rules? If you forget a rule and things bog down just make a ruling a roll on. Jot down what you did not know and figure out later. You'll get to the point where you don't even need a rule book.

Don't take it all too seriously. Laugh a lot and make a bunch of crap up on the fly.

Hope that helps
GrimlinJoe

Post by GrimlinJoe »

Is there a place that I could post what I have made and written to get some critiques? I'm running my campaign as play by post on a discord server I made. I'm using Inkarnate to make world and region maps and mapmatic/mipui to make city and dungeon maps. By playing solo sessions I've managed to make up a packet of charts and supplements to streamline play and incorporated a simple d6 oracle for easy decision making.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

If you want to share your creations, be it so other can use it or if you want suggestions and critiques the Workshop is your place.
Whatever you upload is recommended to attach it on the thread rather than use an outside host, and to use either .pdf or .odt files.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
GrimlinJoe

Post by GrimlinJoe »

I guess for the time being it is just an introduction story to lay background and lore. I can definitely try to format it into a campaign layout once I have workshopped it with my play group.