LFP for Roll20 campaign

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
bigjawhite

LFP for Roll20 campaign

Post by bigjawhite »

Seeking two players to join a Basic Fantasy RPG campaign. Roll20.

Tuesdays. 6pm PST. Games are two hours.

Campaign just started. Great time to join.

You start play with 5000 XP. Core races and classes from the rulebook are OK. Paladins and Rangers, too.

This is a (mini) megadungeon crawl campaign.

Post a reply here if you want to play.
teaman

Re: LFP for Roll20 campaign

Post by teaman »

Best of luck in finding players. I can't join, but am thrilled to see BFRPG games thriving.

My group has found that a two hour time slot is perfect. Most of us are working so 3-4 hour sessions just don't work at the end of the day.

One thing I have found that works great for new sessions is to make the first session a rescue mission. Gives them a clear goal without railroading them. How they approach returning the lost is up to the them. Obviously do what you want, just my suggestion.

Let us know how it goes.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
TardisCaptain

Post by TardisCaptain »

I'm tempted. I just don't know if I could make every week.

Are you using Roll20's voice chat or another communication method?
TardisCaptain's Blog of Holding. http://tardiscaptain.com
bigjawhite

Post by bigjawhite »

TardisCaptain wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:59 pm I'm tempted. I just don't know if I could make every week.

Are you using Roll20's voice chat or another communication method?
Next game is tonight. If you want to play, let me know.
bigjawhite

Post by bigjawhite »

We use Roll20 for video and audio
Heartshadow

Post by Heartshadow »

I know I'm a bit late to the party (and the timing of the game you mention wouldn't work for me since I'm Central Time), but I am quite interested in how your Roll20 campaign is going. What did you need to do to set it up? How easy was it to adapt to Roll20?

I'm thinking of running my own campaign and any insight you have would be very interesting to me.
bigjawhite

Post by bigjawhite »

Playing online using virtual tabletops has been mostly successful for me and my friends. We use Roll20 or Foundry for the VTT and Discord for audio.

For my short lived BFRPG campaign I used Roll20 for both the VTT and the audio. It worked fine.

Running a complex megadungeon with a VTT is challenging -at least for me. Due to its size, the map has to be portioned into smaller sections. Changing maps as the players moved from section to section slowed the game. GM’s fault.

Advice:

Familiarize yourself with fog of war tool and how to move player tokens from map to map - before you play.

Keep your maps simple - at first.

Create a blank map to stage your monsters and NPC tokens. And certainly collect your tokens before the game.

Besides your map, find evocative images of the tavern, journey environs, entrances to dungeons and dark hallways, medieval towns, and castle exteriors. They make great interludes and help set the mood. Use them as a “map” on your VTT between combat encounter maps.

I prefer the camera to be on for me and my players. It helps ensure focus on the game.
TardisCaptain

Post by TardisCaptain »

Have you been able to keep the campaign going?
TardisCaptain's Blog of Holding. http://tardiscaptain.com
bigjawhite

Post by bigjawhite »

TardisCaptain wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:55 pm Have you been able to keep the campaign going?
For the most part. Using Roll20, I was able to recruit two good players.

I did discover that I prefer to run smaller dungeons and adventures that include intrigue. Megadungeon crawls aren’t my thing. And frankly, they are difficult to manage on a VTT. I plan to start a new campaign.

Recruiting players is tough. A lot of interest in playing is expressed. Actual follow through and commitment is less reliable.

VTT Gaming with your regular crew from RL is a suitable substitute during the pandemic. I have had great success gaming with friends from my table top campaigns. Only draw back: less incentive to clean the house before we meet!