a plan for a solo adventure

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Rookie555

a plan for a solo adventure

Post by Rookie555 »

I might plan on making a solo adventure based upon much of what I'm trying to do for my solo games I'm running. Though not that much experienced in much of the creation of such adventures. What would be some ideas/advice I can take to actually write up one? I haven't seen much solo adventures made and I might possibly take a opportunity at it to make one.
CptClyde

Re: a plan for a solo adventure

Post by CptClyde »

Do you mean an adventure for 1 player and 1 GM? Or like solo game play where one person is both GM and player? I got nothing for the first option but here is how I gave fun playing solo as in GM and playing:

BFRPG Hexcrawl Adventures: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... aY0RDyygaA
Rookie555

Post by Rookie555 »

yeah I would say solo for one person playing
Seven

Post by Seven »

There are basically 2 options.

Since there is no DM to rules on decisions, you need to either resolve everything with a roll, so the adventure is mostly a set of tables or with multiple choices, so the adventure looks a lot like an old Tunnels and Trolls module or one of those Fighting Fantasy books.
jdn2006

Post by jdn2006 »

Searching the internet for "writing solo adventure" is one place to start. The top hit I got was a link to an old article by Steve Jackson, probably the same fellow involved with Fighting Fantasy adventure game books...

https://thefantasytrip.game/news/2018/j ... adventure/

Plus others.

How much pick-a-path gaming ("Do you go left down the dark hallway with screams coming from it, turn to 187; Eat the pecan pie the Orc was carrying in one gulp, turn to 234; or Leave the way you came turn to 122") versus random rolling is up to you and your tastes. Generally, for a story oriented gaming experience, you might start by working out the adventure then fitting the game rules into it: "A room with two angry orcs spoiling for a fight", "Three ancient skeletons covered in cobwebs stand against the wall, one with a huge two handed sword, one with a plain woodsman axe, and one with a old cobweb covered tome."

You don't have to write a novel; brief but atmospheric descriptions can suffice.
Seven

Post by Seven »

There was an official solo module that used invisible ink.
I don't think that adds much.

You can work from a dungeon map. The main difference is that you don't have only entries for each room but also entries for each decision taken. Having access to the map is not necessary a spoiler, the stairs and secret doors can be hidden, some doors be locked or one-way, you can put a fake room behind a fake door, etc. You can mix the random elements with the multiple paths to whatever level suits you.
jdn2006

Post by jdn2006 »

A poor man's version of the magic viewer and map scenario is to cut a circle the size of the torch/lantern light area (or whatever works best) in a piece of paper and slide it around, revealing only what the character(s) can see.
GrimlinJoe

Post by GrimlinJoe »

Depending on if it will be a region with multiple POI's or a straight up dungeon crawl, you could make a random table of scenarios and piece objectives together based on random gen. In my solo games that I've played I have utilized a few random generators to keep the game unpredictable. I've also used Wizardawn for their random dungeon generation tables when I want to do some dungeon crawling. If you could make your own oracle for the solo module that would be really cool as well. I know that comes out to be a large amount of work but that would be cool to have all the tools you need in just one book.
Rookie555

Post by Rookie555 »

Well thanks y'all for some tips I could work with. Though I know my wording with the post did not make sense. The plan was Im planning on making a Solo Adventure for usage for BFRPG. Given the workshop has the adventure template with usage of libre office. I have the idea of the adventure taking a bit of inspiration from Wrath of Ashardalon (a board game), but giving it a bit more than what it has. So Under the Slumbering Rock is the name of the adventure and im currently getting a bit of ideas around it. Once I add a bit more to it, I'll post it into the workshop once its a first draft.
GrimlinJoe

Post by GrimlinJoe »

So excited to see this