If First Level Clerics can't cast any spell then why are there First Level cleric spells?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Hackworthy

Re: If First Level Clerics can't cast any spell then why are there First Level cleric spells?

Post by Hackworthy »

otaking wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:42 pm Thank you, now I am no longer confused. :D
This is a common mistake, I think. The first time I ever played DnD the disconnect between character level and spell level confused me too. It makes more sense when you play and understand the purpose behind spell levels and spells per day.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: If First Level Clerics can't cast any spell then why are there First Level cleric spells?

Post by Solomoriah »

In some of my older campaigns, magic-users referred to each other by their "circle" which was just the maximum level spell they could cast; thus, 5th and 6th level magic-users were referred to as "members of the third circle."
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Tazer_The_Yoot

Post by Tazer_The_Yoot »

Yeah...welcome to the DnD clone paradigm, where "level" and "class" each mean like five different things. Once you figure it out, it's not as confusing any more. I agree it's not exactly modern or intuitive but it'll click for you at some point.