How to make class tables for homebrew class supplement

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
GrimlinJoe

How to make class tables for homebrew class supplement

Post by GrimlinJoe »

Hello All,

I've been working of Frankensteining together a class for a homebrew session I am running and I have downloaded the template for making a supplement and was wondering how people go about generating a table for the character classes like that of the experience table and such.
teaman

Re: How to make class tables for homebrew class supplement

Post by teaman »

GrimlinJoe wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:30 pm Hello All,

I've been working of Frankensteining together a class for a homebrew session I am running and I have downloaded the template for making a supplement and was wondering how people go about generating a table for the character classes like that of the experience table and such.
Here are a couple thoughts:

1. See which of the 4 standard classes your new one is most like and use that progression.
2. If they are MORE powerful than current classes, increase the needed XP by 10% or so.
3. The 2E Dungeon Master's Guide actually had a guide to creating new classes and how to assign the XP needed to level up. Those numbers should be pretty close to BFRPG numbers.

Hope this helps. I often find the cleric progression to be "just right" for a lot of new classes
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
GrimlinJoe

Post by GrimlinJoe »

I guess what I'm looking for is the template to the level tables like for the standard classes that list from level 1-20 and the XP needed per level
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Use the odt of the core rules or from a subclass supplement that resembles the class you want to make, then change the content as needed.

Or create your own, the headliners should be bold soutane and the only lines that should be visible are the horizontal ones except the topmost one.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
daryen

Post by daryen »

Having written the Monk and Blood Heritage Sorcerer Supplements in the Showcase, I'd say just copy an existing class supplement that's close to what you want and modify it to what you need.

But just cut-n-paste from an existing odt file into your new one and go from there. Just copy an existing one. That's also the best way to make sure the format settings are carried forward, too.
Last edited by daryen on Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
GrimlinJoe

Post by GrimlinJoe »

daryen wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:04 pm Having written the Mink and Blood Heritage Sorcerer Supplements in the Showcase, I'd say just copy an existing class supplement that's close to what you want and modify it to what you need.

But just cut-n-paste from an existing odt file into your new one and go from there. Just copy an existing one. That's also the best way to make sure the format settings are carried forward, too.
Awesome thank you for the tips
daryen

Post by daryen »

GrimlinJoe wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:10 pmAwesome thank you for the tips
You are quite welcome!

I cannot stress enough that cut-n-paste is your friend. It'll let you copy entire columns/rows within a table, or copy the entire table. Plus, using the table menu (and context menu, I think) lets you also add (or delete) columns or rows very easily.

Tables have been the least of my problems with Libre Office. My big issues are around breaking two column mode and figuring out headers.
GrimlinJoe

Post by GrimlinJoe »

daryen wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:35 pm
You are quite welcome!

I cannot stress enough that cut-n-paste is your friend. It'll let you copy entire columns/rows within a table, or copy the entire table. Plus, using the table menu (and context menu, I think) lets you also add (or delete) columns or rows very easily.

Tables have been the least of my problems with Libre Office. My big issues are around breaking two column mode and figuring out headers.
Eventually I will come to find the other headaches with formatting supplements
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

GrimlinJoe wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:49 pm
daryen wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:35 pm
You are quite welcome!

Eventually I will come to find the other headaches with formatting supplements
GremlinJoe and Daryen, don't stress too much on the formatting of the documents, that is what Solomoriah, Chissu and I do. We appreciate the effort to keep the columns and tables and using a cut and paste as the others have said is the best way to maintain the formatting, especially of the tables. Thank you, also for the submissions both of you have made, they are appreciated.