Special Treasure for Giant Bees?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Mark Corder

Special Treasure for Giant Bees?

Post by Mark Corder »

I searched the forums for info on this, and forgive me if I've missed it somewhere, but...

I was looking through the Core Rules (r107) and Giant Bees have a Treasure Type of "Special". Several other creatures have this, namely Giant Ants, Elephants, and Mastodons. In each case the description of the creature explains the treasure: With Ants it's a chance of gems in the lair, and with the other two it's the ivory from their tusks. But no explanation is given for the Giant Bee's special treasure...

It's Honey, right? Gotta bee! (pun) - and it's only in their Lair (Hive). So you know my next question will be How much Honey do Giant Bees produce? ... followed by ... and how much is it worth?.
teaman

Re: Special Treasure for Giant Bees?

Post by teaman »

Mark Corder wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:34 am I searched the forums for info on this, and forgive me if I've missed it somewhere, but...

I was looking through the Core Rules (r107) and Giant Bees have a Treasure Type of "Special". Several other creatures have this, namely Giant Ants, Elephants, and Mastodons. In each case the description of the creature explains the treasure: With Ants it's a chance of gems in the lair, and with the other two it's the ivory from their tusks. But no explanation is given for the Giant Bee's special treasure...

It's Honey, right? Gotta bee! (pun) - and it's only in their Lair (Hive). So you know my next question will be How much Honey do Giant Bees produce? ... followed by ... and how much is it worth?.
Maybe the Giant Bees scavenge a little like magpies?
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
Mark Corder

Post by Mark Corder »

Yeah that occured to me too, like the ants do with the gemstones (crows & ravens, and even raccoons have been known to do it). But then if there's honey, there would also be wax - and the Equipment Emporium lists "Beeswax" at 3 SP per pound.

I think the honey would almost be worth its weight in gold!
Tazer_The_Yoot

Post by Tazer_The_Yoot »

Honey has been used as currency before in the real world and certainly has value. The honey of giant bees, especially the royal jelly, should sell for up to ten times the value of lesser honey, owing to the additional difficulty of acquisition.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Tazer_The_Yoot wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:51 pm Honey has been used as currency before in the real world and certainly has value. The honey of giant bees, especially the royal jelly, should sell for up to ten times the value of lesser honey, owing to the additional difficulty of acquisition.
Proof of authenticity?
Tazer_The_Yoot

Post by Tazer_The_Yoot »

Seven wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:38 pm
Tazer_The_Yoot wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:51 pm Honey has been used as currency before in the real world and certainly has value. The honey of giant bees, especially the royal jelly, should sell for up to ten times the value of lesser honey, owing to the additional difficulty of acquisition.
Proof of authenticity?
Well, that part is less cut and dry. Suppose a player found a way to capture and control a giant bee queen and kept hives in a known area, inviting certain business people to sign contracts and inspect the property. A fool proof money making scheme. What could go wrong? Heh.
Seven

Post by Seven »

A was thinking more along the lines that the whole honeycomb might need to be brought along. Not sure how well that keep.
Saltmarsh

Post by Saltmarsh »

Bees also produce something called Royal Jelly
Bumblepig

Post by Bumblepig »

You could give their honey some minor magical effect (e.g., a tablespoon in your tea before bedtime doubles healing rates). You'd have to figure out the number of doses and how long the stuff lasts.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Actually, you've found an omission from the rules. There is supposed to be a single cell of the honeycomb that contains honey which can heal 1d4 points of damage if consumed. This is about a quart (or a liter, your choice) of honey.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org