Overpowered Racial+Class combinations

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
GrimlinJoe

Overpowered Racial+Class combinations

Post by GrimlinJoe »

So I'm currently working on starting up my next campaign and during a session zero with my players we were brainstorming what they would be playing. We were looking through the "Monsters as playable characters" supplement and one of our players went with a gnoll fighter which we all thought would be cool. Then we happened upon the combination of the Centaur Barbarian and that's when our jaws dropped.

Luckily we won't actually be doing this but if my math is correct once the centaur gets over the hurdle of the negative 4500xp and they select Barbarian as their class then there is a potential for them to have 36HP at LVL 1 and a +3 attack bonus (3d8 starting hp at 0xp and d12 HD since they roll one die larger for their HD rolls). We went a bit wild with this just to see what else we could get out of it but just thought about sharing our finding.

Have you guys found any cool and possibly borderline broken combinations?
SmootRK

Re: Overpowered Racial+Class combinations

Post by SmootRK »

Fighters get d8, so upping that would be d10 (not d12). Aside from that you are right.

Bear in mind, centaurs are equivalent to 4th level when they get that first class level, so the hp potential is roughly right. The disadvantages of being horse-like ought to be taken into consideration. Little or no dungeon adventures, climbing nearly impossible, probably cannot even deal with interiors of buildings built for regular size characters.

So basically they would excell in their niche, but be a hassle otherwise.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
GrimlinJoe

Post by GrimlinJoe »

Strange I though barbarians got a d10 for their hit die which is why I thought it would be a d12.

Plus your fellow players would probably want to ride you like a horse all the time so I can see the negative aspects of playing a centaur.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Suppose it also depends on Barbarian Supplement used.
Each Supplement is not necessarily balanced against every other optional supplement.

That said, given their adventuring disadvantages i would not have a problem with the extra HP potential. They would stand out in any combat or warfare situation and likely attract most of the focus of enemies as well. It balances in a fashion.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
GrimlinJoe

Post by GrimlinJoe »

Fair points
Rosisha

Post by Rosisha »

SmootRK wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:55 pm climbing nearly impossible
They could be a skyrim horse...
GrimlinJoe

Post by GrimlinJoe »

Rosisha wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:51 pm
SmootRK wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:55 pm climbing nearly impossible
They could be a skyrim horse...
Ah yes the infamous skyrim mountain goat horse
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Also consider that the Centaur must acquire 5000XP (almost 3 barbarians levels) without improving its Saves (except the +1 bonus after 3000XP), no class special abilities and no armor (which later costs them double money and may means that no magical armor is available to them unless specially created).
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
GrimlinJoe

Post by GrimlinJoe »

Dimirag wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:44 pm Also consider that the Centaur must acquire 5000XP (almost 3 barbarians levels) without improving its Saves (except the +1 bonus after 3000XP), no class special abilities and no armor (which later costs them double money and may means that no magical armor is available to them unless specially created).
Yeah but think about the pay off once you get over that hump :lol: