Adding Character Levels to Monsters

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
cailano

Adding Character Levels to Monsters

Post by cailano »

Let's say a GM wants to spice up his monsters a bit by adding Character Levels, for example making an orc shaman or a vampire that is also a magic-user.

It seems like a straightforward enough thing to do, but is there an official BFRPG way to do it? I don't see any thing in the rules (which doesn't mean it isn't there, necessarily).

Any recommended ways to deal with it when the character level exceeds the hit dice? Like a Fire Giant that is a 15th level fighter?
Dimirag

Re: Adding Character Levels to Monsters

Post by Dimirag »

There is the monsters as pc supplement, you can use it as a starting point...
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

As the GM, you do whatever feels right to you.

The urge to over-document every possible rule is common, but I recommend resisting it...
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
billiambabble

Post by billiambabble »

I would definitely recommend a glance at Monsters as Player Characters.
Maybe you can assume Hit Dice (d8s) and the Save As are the markers for the monster's base character level which you can then build on by increasing HD and increasing special abilities (I know I'm stating the obvious here, but there are examples in the monster listings of exceptional leaders in large groups which are usually a couple of HD stronger - the trick is not to go too far beyond expectations, I guess)
Or ... simply build the monster as a normal NPC and then add the monsters abilities. So a high level Orc Shaman could be a level 9 magic user (or Cleric) with some tweaks, like dark vision etc.
cailano

Post by cailano »

Solomoriah wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:56 pm As the GM, you do whatever feels right to you.

The urge to over-document every possible rule is common, but I recommend resisting it...
Seems wise! I'm thinking regular monster, plus additional hit dice for any character levels above said hit dice, then just add spells or thief abilities to taste. Should work.
Rosisha

Post by Rosisha »

That's what I do. I just say "You know what? This Goblin has a 25% chance of moving silently" or 50% or whatever. Or maybe each skeleton has a an aura of protection from good. I don't really need to "document" it or make rules. I can do it on the fly too.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Generally I'd add hit dice not for "levels" but just "to taste." For example, rather than adding 4 hit dice to a basic goblin for four levels of cleric, I'd take the stats for a goblin "lieutenant" and add the spells and class abilities.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Solomoriah wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:10 am Generally I'd add hit dice not for "levels" but just "to taste." For example, rather than adding 4 hit dice to a basic goblin for four levels of cleric, I'd take the stats for a goblin "lieutenant" and add the spells and class abilities.
I am on board with this in general. When creating adversaries, it is not necessary to put too much effort or thought into the process... throw in a few spells/abilities and call him a Goblin Shaman. Add some thief skill percentages and call it a Kobold Trap-master (ie thief).

The Monsters as Players Supplement has more purposeful rule applications or "methods" in order to work with the races in a fashion that might be necessary for a Player option... or perhaps as an NPC, Hireling, Retainer sort of character. Basically when the monster character might be more long term or might be subject to growth in a similar fashion to Player Characters.

For a monster in a dungeon meant to be defeated... there is just no point in all that extra effort. :D
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Similar to Solo and Smoot, if I want to boost or change a monster I just add what it lacks, be it HD (with an AB limit if needed), special abilities, and the like.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
cailano

Post by cailano »

Thanks all, very helpful advice.

HD to taste, spells and abilities as appropriate.