Alternative to Encumburance rules

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Rookie555

Alternative to Encumburance rules

Post by Rookie555 »

howdy folks, So I guess after looking over encumbrance and seeing how it's done by the book as a player. I'm not a huge fan of it since it is a tad looking over pounds and stuff. I mean of course that loses the charm of resource management and how much you move in/out of places. Though perhaps their are other ideas to encumbrance?
Dimirag

Re: Alternative to Encumburance rules

Post by Dimirag »

Over the years people have shared their encumbrance rules, some used the STR Score as the amount of objects a person can carry, with each object having a value based on size and weight.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Most fantasy characters:

Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Or this:

Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Rookie555

Post by Rookie555 »

lol welp much baggage to carry on the way to the stairs.
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

I always think of the "junk lady" in Labyrinth. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091369/me ... till_frame
Tazer_The_Yoot

Post by Tazer_The_Yoot »

I'm a fan of the STR equals items carried rule. I counts "stacks" of things as single items, too. So maybe up to 20 pieces of ammunition or up to a week's rations is one "thing".

I'm also seeing Diablo style grids growing in popularity online. You can also use the stacks concept here, and there's the additional fun of the "make it fit" minigame. Fun is subjective in this case of course.
Rookie555

Post by Rookie555 »

Tazer_The_Yoot wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:06 pm I'm a fan of the STR equals items carried rule. I counts "stacks" of things as single items, too. So maybe up to 20 pieces of ammunition or up to a week's rations is one "thing".

I'm also seeing Diablo style grids growing in popularity online. You can also use the stacks concept here, and there's the additional fun of the "make it fit" minigame. Fun is subjective in this case of course.
Ah the diablo grids are be used as well? I've played the game so I never knew the idea of inventory is used. Though I would think of using the STR method and build much of that into game play.
Tazer_The_Yoot

Post by Tazer_The_Yoot »

Rookie555 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:27 pm
Tazer_The_Yoot wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:06 pm I'm a fan of the STR equals items carried rule. I counts "stacks" of things as single items, too. So maybe up to 20 pieces of ammunition or up to a week's rations is one "thing".

Ah the diablo grids are be used as well? I've played the game so I never knew the idea of inventory is used. Though I would think of using the STR method and build much of that into game play.

The diablo grids and the STR thing are distinct concepts, but yeah, both are popular in the blogosphere. I believe one of Ben Milton's games uses the Diablo grids. Maybe Knave? You could pretty much kit bash something similar into BFRPG with minimal effort, though. It's kind of loose and easy to modify individual components, which is one thing I love about it.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Strength points and Grid-based inventory are similar although different.
You can convert the grid into points and have a similar system, or expand the grid based on the character's STR.

Torchbearer has a very simplified encumbrance rule.

Knowing me I would go with something like Donjon's resource and supplies rule:
You have a set of values:
-Resources is your money
-Supplies is everything you carry, is modified by INT or WIS.
-Encumbrance is the weight of everything you carry, modified by STR, it has a permanent and a temporary points (PEC & TEP).

Everytime you need an item you roll your supplies, on a success you have it! but your Supplies and your TEP are reduced.
Encumbrance is set by the player, the more encumbrance they choose to have, the more big and heavy things they can pull out with a Resource roll.

If the TEP reaches 0, the character has pull out every item it was carrying
Supplies reaches 0, the character no longer has any item in stock.

TEP can be recovered by disposing items, Supplies are recovered by using Resources.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/