Interest Check: Dwimmermount

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
BusterBluth

Interest Check: Dwimmermount

Post by BusterBluth »

I've been running Dwimmermount for a group of friends each Saturday for close to a year now, and they're pretty high level by now.

Am thinking I should run this for a brand new group, and wanted to see if there was any interest in a live game. I've got Zoom. The only software you'd need is free: Maptool and LogMeinHamachi. I can do evenings, either weekends or weeknights, probable start time would be 6 or 7 pm Eastern Standard Time.

For a weeknight, i'd prefer a day earlier in the week, since work leaves me progressively more worn out with each day. But, if this sounds like something you want to play, please reply with a day and time that works best. If we have at least 2 or 3 players, I'll fire up a new campaign, adding in all the lessons I've learned from my earlier group.
elmarcotote123

Re: Interest Check: Dwimmermount

Post by elmarcotote123 »

I'm all in for a weekend game (Saturday preferably). My time zone is GMT-7 (8:17 pm at the time of posting) so 6-7 pm Eastern would be a pretty nice afternoon schedule for me.
BusterBluth

Post by BusterBluth »

Sat night would be ideal for me too. Our current game is on Saturday afternoons, and after 3 hours, I'm always left wanting more!

7 to 10 EST sound OK?
therealt

Post by therealt »

I would be interested as well. I can make most days work other than occasional unavailability on Sunday afternoon/evening.
elmarcotote123

Post by elmarcotote123 »

BusterBluth wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:23 am Sat night would be ideal for me too. Our current game is on Saturday afternoons, and after 3 hours, I'm always left wanting more!

7 to 10 EST sound OK?
Sounds good to me! Do you have a discord or somewhere the players can roll for the characters (and take a look at how run things/specific rulings)?
BusterBluth

Post by BusterBluth »

I don't have a Discord server setup but I do have Zoom. So 4/24, at 7pm EST for character creation sounds good?

I'll share my house rules on this thread later this evening.
elmarcotote123

Post by elmarcotote123 »

Perfect, I suppose you'll send us a link for the Zoom meeting later during the week?
BusterBluth

Post by BusterBluth »

Classes: use only the classes described in the original rules; no multi-classing

Movement and Encumbrance (note - I'm really tempted to adapt the additional ranges of encumbrance described in Mentzer's BECMI for even slower moves, but don't let this scare you. I track equipment on my end and use automation to calculate the weights carried and their resulting encumbrance.)

Any character not involved in a grapple (not grabbed, grappled, incapacitated or helpless) gets a free 5' movement which doesn't not cause an opportunity attack. This is in addition to the character's normal move.

Ignore the table on Armor Types and Loads. Instead use this movement adjustment:
• No Load: 40’ (full move, up to half listed for Light Load)
• Light Load: 30’ (3/4 move)
• Heavy Load: 20’ (half move)

The weight of an armor already contributes to a character’s load, and armor can be assumed to be balanced and fitted to the wearer.

A note on coins’ weight: assume 100 coins to the pound, as opposed to 10.

Large sacks hold 60 pounds, instead of 40.

Overland Movement is exhausting over an extended period. Characters don’t get natural HP healing overnight unless they’re in safe lodgings. In addition, each day of overland travel incurs at least 1 point of Subdual Damage (see below). Extreme locations may deal out a random amount of Subdual Damage and may or may not allow for a Save. To avoid this penalty, characters can simply spend the night in any civilized setting (roadside boardinghouse, any village, etc). Alternately, they can spend a day in the wilderness and not travel, to avoid further Subdual Damage.

Spells

Use of cantrips and orisons as described in ‘BF-0-Level-Spells-Supplement-r1.pdf’ is allowed. Additional cantrips are listed below; each has a range of 15’ unless otherwise stated and can only affect a single target. Any targets of a punitive effect get to Save vs Spells:
• Pummel – target suffers 1 point of subdual damage as a stream of small bubbles of force slam into the target
• Slide – Rng Self; Caster gains an extra 5’ of movement, as if gliding on ice, for the current round; this movement incurs no opportunity attacks
• Detect Magic, Minor – Rng Touch; show magical aura for a single item
• Hinder – target’s next attack is reduced by 1d2
• Hesitate - add 1d3 to target’s next Initiative Roll or 1 to current Iniative with the target’s arms suddenly growing heavy
• Nervous – reduce target’s Morale by 1d3 upon briefly viewing a frightening visage of the caster; target’s ML will be tested seperately from its group; targets with a ML of 12 are unaffected

Combat

Maneuverability – don’t use.

Firing into Melee or Firing through Ally Square – either action accrues a -4 penalty to the attack roll. If the attacker is doing both, the total penalty is -8. Firing over the head of a smaller ally does not incur this penalty.

Subdual Damage – track this damage separately from regular HP. Whenever SD is greater than a character’s current HP, the character is dazed, can take no actions, and can only move up to one-quarter speed. Subdual Damage is entirely removed by any magical healing. Undead are immune to subdual damage.

Thieves, Elves and Halflings – may apply DEX bonuses to weapon attack rolls if wielding S sized weapons.

Unarmed Fighting – any character can punch or kick to inflict Subdual damage (1d2 + Str bonus); another option is Grappling, which is detailed below

Improvised Weapons – generally improvised weapons are treated as similar to clubs (1d3 dmg).

Healing and Rest

A night’s rest restores the greater of either 1 hp or ½ hit points per HD via normal healing. Magic-Users regain ½ hp, whereas other classes get a full hp per HD. Any magical or normal healing removes all Subdual Damage. Normal healing can only occur in a civilized setting or from staying in place for a full day in wilderness; in other words, camping after a day’s travel will negate normal healing.

After a full round of being reduced to less than zero hp, a character is normally dead. If magical healing can be administered to bring hp back up to at least 0, then the character survives.

Learning Arcane Spells

Spell scrolls can either trigger their designated spell effect or the owner can spend the requisite time to translate (1 day per spell level, 500 gp per day) and inscribe them in their spell books. Guild memberships also give their members access to arcane libraries and enhanced capabilities for spell research.

Grappling

Using OSR rules from the Dungeon Grappling supplement. Each target has a Grapple DC, which measures how difficult a character is to engage in a grapple. For PCs, the Grapple DC = 10 + BAB + the higher of the DEX or STR bonus. For monsters, the Grapple DC can either be the same as the AC or 9 + ½ of the monster’s HD, rounded down.

Note that Grappling provokes an opporunity attack from opponents. To make a Grappling attempt, the roll is simply 1d20 + Str bonus + BAB. If this roll beats the target’s Grapple DC, the attacker gets to apply Control Points on a target. Each character starts combat with zero Control Points. As CPs accumulate, targets get progressively worse at movement, attack rolls, spell-casting and defense. Also note that grappling is mutual. Attackers must track whatever Control Points they dish out; as these accumulate, attackers suffer the worse state indicated by whatever they’ve dealt or what their targets are suffering. Each character has a Grapple CM, a Combat Maximum, which is based on the character’s original HP. As the CPs get closer to and/or exceed this CM, the target’s state gets increasingly worse.

The amount of Control Points to apply depends on either the PC class or the monster’s size:
• Commoner: d3 (or perhaps even a d2)
• Magic-User: d4
• Thief: d6
• Cleric: d8
• Fighter: d12

Applied Control Points are halved if the grappler is using a hand to hold a weapon. If a grappled combatant uses a weapon larger than Small/Light, he suffers a -5 penalty.

In addition to hindering an opponent, grappling provides a number of options for an attacker, in the round after the grapple has been initiated.

• Grapple: inflict more CPs on the target
• Attack: inflict HP damage upon successful attack vs AC; need to use S sized weapons
• Pummel: inflict subdual damage upon successful attack vs AC
• Counter-Grapple: Remove CPs foes have applied on you (remember to also reduce this number from any attackers) or apply CPs to an opponent who grappled you.
• Inflict Pain: Stun attempt by applying pressure to joints and vital areas; foe must at least be Restrained; Grapple Attack as normal and if successful, Save vs Paralysis to avoid being stunned for 1 turn
• Injure: Give up X CPs to deal 1dX extra damage upon successful attack vs AC
• Strangle: Attempt to render foe unconscious quickly
• Stunning Throw: slam foe to the ground; make normal grapple attack and spend CPs equal to half the target’s CM to stun for 1d4 turns
• Takedown: render foe prone; spend CM/5 worth of CPs after successful attack vs Grapple DC
• Take Stuff: grapple attempt to wrest away an item; usually more difficult for smaller, more closely held items
• Dragging: move foe with you; need STR ability check
• Fling: throw your foe; need STR ability check
• Shove: push foe 5’ away or knock it prone; need STR ability check

Where appropriate, spells can be used to deal out CPs, on the order of 1d6 CPs per a spell’s minimum caster level. The normal rules and description for that spell otherwise apply, such as any information on ranges, saves, etc.

Fighting Stances

In order to differentiate characters of the same class, especially fighters, Fighting Stances are an option for players to use towards character improvement. Characters can access a new Fighting Stance every 5 levels and they begin play with a specific number of them at 1st level:

• Fighters: 3
• Clerics and Thieves: 2
• Magic-User: 1

Fighting Stances are created by applying a character’s AB (‘Attack Bonus’, defined on pg 47 of the BFRPG rulebook) towards an array of different options listed here:

• Attack Bonus (cost = 1 AB, default selection): gain a +1 Attack Bonus with any weapon; 1st level characters always start with this option
• Faster Reactions (cost = 1 AB): gain +2 to Initiative
• Finesse (cost = 1 AB): gain a +2 Attack Bonus, at a cost of -2 to damage, with damage never falling less than 1
• Savage Attack (cost = 1 AB): gain +1 to damage with any weapon, -1 penalty to Initiative
• Brutal Attack (cost = 2 AB): gain +2 to damage with any weapon, -3 penalty to Initiative
• Cleave (cost = 1 AB): a sweeping attack against multiple adjacent enemies. If a melee attack takes down an opponent, any extra damage can be redirected to another adjacent, melee opponent; each time this bonus is taken, an extra opponent is eligible for this maneuver. Note that the original attack roll has to be high enough to have hit any extra opponents. The player chooses the additional targets.
• AC with Shield (cost = 1 AB): wielder gains an extra +1 to AC while wielding a shield
• AC (cost = 2 AB): user gains a +1 bonus to AC; this represents heightened combat awareness, better ability to roll with punches, etc. Note that this option is twice as expensive as improving AC with a shield.
• Extra Stamina (cost = 2 AB): user immediately gains a temporary 1d4 hp; as soon as combat ends or the player changes to another Fighting Stance in a following round, these hp are subtracted.
• Additional Attack (cost = 4 AB): character can make an extra attack at the same time of his initial attack; each time this bonus is taken, a cumulative -5 is added to the additional attack roll
• Bonus Move: each BAB allocated here adds 5' of movement to the character for the round; a max of 4 BAB points can be allocated here

For first level Magic-Users, their only starting Fighting Stance is the default Attack Bonus +1. Clerics and thieves can define a second style, while fighters get two additional ones. Note that the last 3 options listed above are too expensive for starting characters.

In combat, players may switch between their Fighting Stances each round as desired. This is not an action. As an example, a 7th level Fighter has a +5 Attack Bonus. He started play with 3 styles and gained a 4th after reaching 5th level. This fighter could have the following Fighting Stances:

• Attack Bonus
• AC with Shield
• Additional Attack
• Cleave

The fighter is free to allocate his +5 Attack Bonus however he likes among these stances, from round to round. Examples:

• AC with Shield (+3 to AC), Attack Bonus +2
• Additional Attack, Attack Bonus + 1
• Cleave (4 opponents), Attack Bonus +1
• AC with Shield (+1 to AC), Attack Bonus +4

Special Weapons
Item Cost Weight Effect
Bola 5 gp 2 lbs 1d4 S + 1d12CPs
Net 1 sp ½ lb 2d12 CPs
Sap 5 gp ½ lb 1d4 S + Special
Whip 10 gp per 10’ (max 30’) ½ lb per 10’ 1d2 and/or 1d12 CPs
Caltrops 1 gp 1 lb 1d6 S

These weapons are aimed at the Grapple DC of an opponent, instead of an opponent’s AC. Bolas and Nets count as thrown weapons and are subject to those weapon ranges. In freeing themselves, a target may opt to damage these weapons (if possessing edged weapons or capable natural attacks), rendering them useless for future attacks. Note that Bolas deal subdual damage only, not normal HP damage. Also, nets only entangle, ie add control points, and deal no subdual nor HP damage.

Attackers using a whip should use their DEX bonus to hit. Strength bonuses do not apply to damage. Attackers can opt to damage or entangle, or do both (1/2 damage and ½ Control Points applied).

Saps are special weapons, usually used to render an opponent unconscious quickly. They deal subdual damage only. Note that certain monsters will be immune or otherwise unaffected by this weapon. As a general rule, anything without a head, and anything immune to Sleep spells would suffer no effects from a sap.

Caltrops cover 1 5’x5’ area and only deal subdual damage if a combatant enters that square.

Sages/Savants

Sages can apply their knowledge for a variety of purposes for the party, but helping them learning about newly found magic items can be extremely beneficial.

1) After determining that the party can locate a sage with the relevant background in a nearby town or city, randomly determine the sage's INT score by rolling a d6: 12 + 1d6.

2) Determine your target number. Target values depend on the magic item type:
Scrolls - 7
Potions - 11
Wand - 12
Rod - 14
Staff - 15
Misc Magic Item - 15
Armor - 15
Weapon - 16
Ring - 17

2) The sage performs an Ability Check vs his INT. Even if successful, this takes a full day of research. Note, a Sage can only research a single item at a time. The GM may want to assign specialties to NPC sages as well, to encourage the party to travel more than they would otherwise. Maybe Arthrand the Wise lives in NearTown but he would be useless for identifying a batch of +1 Arrows.

3) If the check fails, there’s a 50% chance that the sage needs additional time. For each point the check misses its target, an additional 1d3 days are needed to research. If the % roll exceeds 50, then instead of additional local research, the sage has identified a source of information 1 to 100 miles away.

4) At the end of these additional days, make another check but add +5 (cumulative, if this step is repeated) to the roll, unless the sage lacked access to the item for the full period. If this check fails, go back to step #3.

5) Upon a successful check, the Sage has identified all the properties of a magic item, good or bad, and can relate details about the item's history and manufacture as well.

6) Sages are expensive, but if the party is at the point of recovering magic items, surely they've got coin to spare, right? Multiply the Target Number by 100 and roll 2d6. The first d6 is additional 1d6 x 100 and the 2nd d6 is a d3 x -100.

7) The party might be able to bargain to lower the cost. Make a CHA check. If you succeed, back off a percentage equal to 10x the CHA bonus.
BusterBluth

Post by BusterBluth »

elmarcotote123 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:41 pm Perfect, I suppose you'll send us a link for the Zoom meeting later during the week?
Absolutely!
therealt

Post by therealt »

Healing and Rest

A night’s rest restores the greater of either 1 hp or ½ hit points per HD via normal healing. Magic-Users regain ½ hp, whereas other classes get a full hp per HD. Any magical or normal healing removes all Subdual Damage. Normal healing can only occur in a civilized setting or from staying in place for a full day in wilderness; in other words, camping after a day’s travel will negate normal healing.

I'm curious about the restriction of MU to 1/2 hp per HD/day healing. Does CON come into play with this?

A MU with a 16 CON gains 1/2 hp per HD/day and a fighter with 10 CON gains 1 hp per HD/day?

Thanks!