Dragonlance/Krynn?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Seven

Re: Dragonlance/Krynn?

Post by Seven »

Middle-Earth and the Empire of East are interesting backgrounds but require major changes to the rules. Clerics and mages are quite different in those settings.

Btw, Saberhagen wrote the books with the intent of turning them into videogames, but it wasn't possible in the 80s.

Personally, I find settings of these sort a lot less interesting once you remove the key characters. I played MERP for several years. I wasn't impressed. I had an elf character who ended up with a very strong ice spell.
Beowulf

Post by Beowulf »

I suppose it depends on rigidly you want to conform to the mechanics in the books. Bear in mind I'm not beating the drum for using books as campaign settings; I've ran my own world for most of the time I've gamed. Just pointing out that a game set in a published world can be an option especially for a one-shot or short campaign. That's how I use Ravenloft for instance. Of course it was designed as an RPG product but I'm talking using it as a side project either for a change of pace or to use a module to lighten the DM's work load.
Seven

Post by Seven »

A GM will take his inspiration from anywhere he wants.
The main problem with existing settings is that players familiar with the setting will have expectations that might not match the GM's implementation.
That's why, as a player, I'd rather adventure in the Centre-Lands than in Middle-Earth.