Dragonlance/Krynn?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
FakeHealer

Dragonlance/Krynn?

Post by FakeHealer »

I would like to run a Dragonlance campaign in BFRPG for my group. Not necessarily any of the modules but along the lines of using the setting and making my own adventures or modifying existing.
My question is has anyone done this? What were your experiences on conversions? What should I look out especially for?
Thanks for any constructive thoughts.
MinkyBoodle

Re: Dragonlance/Krynn?

Post by MinkyBoodle »

Oh, wow. That sounds like a lot of fun, but if you're looking at a straight conversion it's going to get tricky. Knights of Solamnia/Neraka follow very specific paths of progression and gain abilities that aren't exactly in line with standard BFRPG classes. Similarly I don't think there's an entry in any of the Field Guides that would convert draconians. Granted, I'm sure with enough work things could get converted over to BFRPG but it will definitely take time. Krynn is definitely a favored setting from my past, so I'm interested to see what you can come up with.
"My love is my sword."
"If I were you I'd stay away from thoughts like that."
-Dekar and Guy, Lufia II
Rosisha

Post by Rosisha »

Well, you don't have to grant special abilities. I'm not as familiar with the Knights of Neraka, but if I remember my Knights of Solamnia correctly, then you have fighters as crown knights, clerics as heart knights, and paladins as sword knights. That's all you'd have to do. You don't have to grant special bonuses or anything like that.

For the Knights of Neraka, you could have it be fighters (Lily)/clerics (Skull)/black robe wizards (Thorn) or something.

Wizards of High Sorcery would be similar. All wizards. Alignment is based on player's choice "I identify as a white robe" okay, no problem, you are generally "good" and avoid hurling fireballs into villagers homes. But the politics of the Conclave probably wouldn't bug the players till much higher level.

Basically, it can be as simple or as complicated as you want to make it.
MinkyBoodle

Post by MinkyBoodle »

Makes sense to me, Rosisha. I was overcomplicating it.
"My love is my sword."
"If I were you I'd stay away from thoughts like that."
-Dekar and Guy, Lufia II
Seven

Post by Seven »

Draconians would be pretty easy to convert.
Kinders and Gully Dwarves would be a bit more challenging.
billiambabble

Post by billiambabble »

I don't know if you've seen it, a scan of TSR's Krynn Trail Map is currently free on DriveThruRPG (Wizards).
Rosisha

Post by Rosisha »

Seven wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:49 am Draconians would be pretty easy to convert.
Kinders and Gully Dwarves would be a bit more challenging.
Kinder are just halflings who have ADHD. Gully Dwarves would the be hardest, but I'd say as a dwarf but -2 to INT and +2 to saves vs poison and disease.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Kinder and Gully Dwarves are why I hate Dragonlance. That, and the proliferation of railroads.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Solomoriah wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:50 pm Kinder and Gully Dwarves are why I hate Dragonlance. That, and the proliferation of railroads.
This is what I really wanted to say, but did not want to offend anyone. lol really no offence meant by my general dislike of the races.
That said, I did like all the Larry Elmore artwork stuff!

The Railroads were necessary evil of getting PC groups to go through the same bits from the books... understandable to me to mesh with the book, but yeah, nobody likes the lack of options. I would have rather the modules been made more like a setting/world sandbox of scenarios/encounters within Krynn.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

3E era halflings are basically kender, appearance-wise. And gully dwarves always seemed to be some kind of ethnic joke.

Oh, and Krynn tinker gnomes darn near ruined gnomes in general.

Kender and gully dwarves and tinker gnomes... these entire races were created as something to laugh at. You can't make jokes about real people based on their culture or religion or national origin, and for good reason, but if we file off the serial numbers it's somehow okay. Bah, I say.

Sorry. Didn't mean to step on your fun. Krynn does have many good features as a world. But whole races of Jar Jar Binks just sets badly with me, and I'm not particularly offended by Jar Jar (because he's ONE DUDE, and the others of his species are not nearly so comical).
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org