Is poison to poisonous

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Saltmarsh

Is poison to poisonous

Post by Saltmarsh »

So I've been thinking is the save or die poison to deadly, so I've been thinking that instead of just killing, it could do damage depending on the hit dice of the monster.
So I thought that the base damage would be 2d6 and 1 extra d6 per hit dice of the monster
So a giant centerpide (half a hit dice) would do 2d6 but a giant black widow (2 hit dice monster) would do 4d6 which could still prove fatal to low level characters.
Your thoughts please
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Is poison to poisonous

Post by Solomoriah »

Not bad.

You have read the alternative poison rules in the back of the book, right? Core Rules page 152-153.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Saltmarsh

Post by Saltmarsh »

I have read the alternative poison rules and quite like them I was just looking for something that was easy to remember
daryen

Post by daryen »

Well 2d6+hd is still probably going to kill and equivalently leveled character (at least a squishy one), particularly at lower levels (even with saving throws). If you just want bog simple, make it 1d6 per hd, then scale the die with the severity of the poison. So, weak poison is only d4 per hd, but strong poison can be d8 or (in especially severe cases) d10.

This lets things stay more survivable at lower levels, by focusing on regular and weak poison, but lets you ramp things up at higher levels by throwing in strong and super-strong poison occasionally.

But, honestly, your approach should work just fine.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I have rules for poison that are less lethal on some ways and more lethal in others...

I converted it into a Poisons Supplements that was left alone at some point.
This less lethal variation makes you to roll a d6 to know the amount of time the character has before death.

Severity -> Time
Lesser -> Days
Medium -> Hours
High -> Turns
Extreme -> Rounds

Non-lethal poisons render the victim unconscious.

Weakening poisons works like negative levels.
Damaging poisons do damage over time.
Etc, etc.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Seven

Post by Seven »

Overall, I like players having to buy antidotes and staying alive long enough to use them.