Cleric Deities? Do we make them up?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
SmootRK

Re: Cleric Deities? Do we make them up?

Post by SmootRK »

I have been using Viking/Norse pantheon primarily. Well rounded set of deities with lots of details/stories to draw upon.

In my next game, I plan to use this Viking ethos along with the generic worship of Tah as described in the Morgansfort module. The idea, besides monster bashing and exploring, is to incorporate the conflict between followers of the old gods (ie Norse) and the new faith (Tah). My hope is that the players go with the Norse side, so I can use the Tah "missionaries" as cultural invaders.... basically to mimic some general history.
This is also to mimic the era of exploration of new lands, so I am also using a pseudo-North American inspired newly discovered lands so I can have a blank region to explore (albeit, it will have more history/ruins/beings than real world; just America inspired flora/fauna... with a touch of Lost World (ice age and dinos in some areas). One may notice many of the FG2/3 critters have a "merica" vibe (at least the ones I worked on myself). Just wait till they encounter the Rakun empire!
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Saltmarsh

Post by Saltmarsh »

I just lifted a group of Deities from DnD its basically just fluff as there are no domains in BFrpg so all I use is the name and base ethos of the Deities I think I have a total of 11 good and neutral gods and about 4 evil ( I don't allow evil players in my game)
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

I just let players pull whatever favored deity they want in my games and let them be listed as part of the hundred gods. Nothing special such as daily powers or such but mostly just the fluff. You want to be a priest of Pelor, cool. He is part of the hundred gods now.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Metro, dude, that's EXACTLY what I planned when I created the Hundred. Nice!
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Beowulf

Post by Beowulf »

My group and I played at least six or eight years before it even occurred to any of us that we might need or want specific deities to pray to. :lol: In the early days we mostly dungeon-crawled, and it was enough to know that the cleric got his spells from "the Powers That Be." Of course it really does add some richness to depth to the game if you have deities unique to your campaign. My long running AD&D campaign uses specialty priests where the cleric of each god has his or her unique flavor (eg granted powers, rituals, clothing, spheres of spells, etc).

Since BFRPG is deliberately rules-light I don't necessarily want to go that route in a new campaign. But I still like the idea of having gods that aren't just cut-and-pasted from Earth mythology. Nothing wrong with that but to me it suspends disbelief a little if the campaign world is unique but it uses Greek or Norse gods. YMMV. There's really no "wrong" way to do it if everyone is having fun.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Right, I mostly use the Greek gods but I've renamed them, so it doesn't feel awkward.

The Sumerian/Babylonian set is pretty good also, particularly if you like Conan.
Ishtar, Mihtra, Tiamat, Elrik, Nergal, Bel, etc and you can always add a touch of Egyptian with Set, Bast, etc...