How would I look at the percentile dice to determine if a monster is in the area?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Messa

How would I look at the percentile dice to determine if a monster is in the area?

Post by Messa »

Let's say a pack of 3 wolves is in Dungeon 1st Floor (currently running Morgansfort). There's a 75% chance they're not in room 2 during the day, but at night, it drops to a 50% chance that they're not in the room.

May I ask how to determine that? Would I roll my percentile dice and if it's equal to or greater than 75% (or 50% at night), then the wolves aren't there?

I rolled 40%, if that means anything.

Help would be very much appreciated. Thank you in advance. 🙂
Dimirag

Re: How would I look at the percentile dice to determine if a monster is in the area?

Post by Dimirag »

Normally percentile rolls are "equal or less" with a d100 with a binary effect.

If you have 75% of a monster not being in the visiting place, a roll of 01-75 means the monsters in fact is not there, rolling 76-00 means the opposite.

I guess most adventures will give an encounter chance and not a non-encounter one, so if you have an 80% of an encounter, a roll of 80 or less means the encounter happens, or that the monsters are on the place and characters must create an encounter, parlay or avoid them.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Messa

Re: How would I look at the percentile dice to determine if a monster is in the area?

Post by Messa »

I see. Thank you! 🙂 So, the 40% I rolled means they're not in the room. This greatly helps. I'll have to remember that. 😊