Tales from the Laughing Dragon- A Campaign

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
FakeHealer

Tales from the Laughing Dragon- A Campaign

Post by FakeHealer »

So I have just started a group through TftLD with plans that after completion the party will move to further adventures in a small town in the Mirewoods and Chaotic Caves....
My question is this...with a quick calculation of all encounters in TftLD, giving xp for traps, and giving some bonus xp for story sections completed, I came up with an xp total of around 4700...to be split 5 ways...does this sound correct? Is the party seriously going to still be level 1 at the end of Tales from the Laughing Dragon or did I make a serious mistake in my calculations? I know I could rule xp to be whatever I wish but I would like to try sticking close to RAW since this is my group's first foray into BFRPG. Thanks in advance for any advice.
CptClyde

Re: Tales from the Laughing Dragon- A Campaign

Post by CptClyde »

Did you add XP for treasure? just curious what that would come out to in total.
FakeHealer

Post by FakeHealer »

No, as it is an optional rule and I was looking to play without optional or house rules to start. How would that work anyway? Money is easy, gear can be sold for a certain percentage of it's worth, but magic items...I don't see a price for magic items and their sale to judge getting xp for them...how does that get counted?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Most GM use 1GP = 1XP
Magic items doesn't have any GP cost as probably the target game didn't have it, it also helps in letting a GM set the "magic tome" of his world.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
FakeHealer

Post by FakeHealer »

Really? It's an optional rule that really seems awkward, I can't imagine most people are using it when all creatures have an XP value...is it really a "most people" rule? Not being a smarta$$, just really surprised.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I'm not saying its an optional rule that most GM use, but of those that use it, most use that formula as its the one used in other editions of the targeted game.

For some GMs giving XP for gold is a good way to help avoiding unnecessarily killings (and to create low and non-encounter adventures).
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

The Original Game used the GP=XP rule, as well as for treasure (its GP value). It helped encourage players to gain experience from something besides combat, especially as that could have a likely chance of death of one or more PCs.
CptClyde

Post by CptClyde »

FakeHealer wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:26 pm Really? It's an optional rule that really seems awkward, I can't imagine most people are using it when all creatures have an XP value...is it really a "most people" rule? Not being a smarta$$, just really surprised.
Yes you may be correct that MOST people do not give XP for gold (no one I've played with ever has) but I was just interested in knowing what the XP total would look like if you did. It may help get closer to a total that you want so that people can actually level up. I personally would expect the PCs to be leveled up after that amount of adventuring.
I'm very curious to know your experiences with how it works out because I personally have been dabbling with a house rule where players can "donate" their gold back in town for XP. A little different take on the optional BFRPG rule but is a nice middle ground which forces the players to choose between riches or XP...... but I am not sure if it is balanced.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

A nice way to burn excess gold is by allowing characters to buy training, IE Gold to XP, but I have this take up training time (often during their downtime). Fighters and Thieves actually train in their craft in guilds, barracks, arenas, etc. Magic-Users experiment and study in labs, libraries, magic guilds, etc. Clerics will "donate", meditate, pray, etc in their church facilities. Of course, the characters need access to such facilities, which drives them to return to their town bases on occasion.

Otherwise, I do not "give" XP for gold values (whether actual cash or for gems/jewels/art/commodities), nor do I give xp for magic item values. The experience is gained by using these resources... not in the simple act of finding something.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

For the record, I like Smoot's approach here.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org