Tales from the Laughing Dragon- A Campaign

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
FakeHealer

Re: Tales from the Laughing Dragon- A Campaign

Post by FakeHealer »

So back to this...did I mess up my calculations on leveling... "My question is this...with a quick calculation of all encounters in TftLD, giving xp for traps, and giving some bonus xp for story sections completed, I came up with an xp total of around 4700...to be split 5 ways...does this sound correct? Is the party seriously going to still be level 1 at the end of Tales from the Laughing Dragon or did I make a serious mistake in my calculations?"
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'm not going to check your math; I'll just assume you're right about the numbers. But yes, you're essentially right. By the book, your PC group won't gain a level by the end of DC1. By the book. I've mentioned many, many times before that you are not expected to run your games "by the book" but rather however feels right to you. Were I running that adventure I'd likely give the full amount to each PC if I wanted them to gain a level by completing it, rather than dividing. It is left to the GM to make these decisions, and players are smart if they don't ask questions.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

To be fair to FakeHealer, the Introduction does state:
These adventures are intended for 4 to 6 player characters. They should start out at level 1 and should finish with most characters around levels 3 to 4.
David hasn't been online in awhile, so not sure how/why this was assumed...
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

6 pcs from lvl 1 to 4, that would require aprox total 45.000 worth of XP
Maybe after doing the adventure the author added an extra 0 when doing calculations....
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
FakeHealer

Post by FakeHealer »

I even counted a reasonable amount of the random encounters in my figures...lol. Guess I need to ramp it up a bit. For reference the adventure is broken up into 3 parts: part 1 was 930xp total for the party with me giving each PC another 300 xp(most likely) for EACH player. Part 2 was 925xp total for the party, another 300xp each from me. Part 3 was 1875xp total for the party with another 300xp each from me.
I guess I will just up the completion bonus for each part to get them leveling a bit. Just a quick look showed less than 1000gp of treasure in the first section so even if I did XP from monsters AND the gold as xp option, I would be at around 400xp each for my 5 players.
Cool, thanks all. I just thought maybe I was looking at something wrong so it's nice to know it isn't just me.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

You may want to play "by the book" but as Solo said, its not the ideal way, so, don't be afraid of tweaking the rules to suit your needs, if you want, just remove the last digit from the XP table and have each pc earn levels 10 times faster.
Not dividing the XP is another way
Changing the final value based on "difficulty" wouldn't be something new.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
FakeHealer

Post by FakeHealer »

Dimirag wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:45 pm You may want to play "by the book" but as Solo said, its not the ideal way, so, don't be afraid of tweaking the rules to suit your needs, if you want, just remove the last digit from the XP table and have each pc earn levels 10 times faster.
Not dividing the XP is another way
Changing the final value based on "difficulty" wouldn't be something new.
Yeah, for now I will probably just give each member the total xp for the group...looks like that gets me at least close on TftLD with leveling up. I can always slow it down/speed it up later if needed. I have been doing this since79-80 so it isn't like I can't wing it. lol. Thanks.