Level conversion from 1e

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Mustacheman

Level conversion from 1e

Post by Mustacheman »

I found a 1e module I'd like to rework into bf for my table if the module is for players level 7-9 will that be the same for bf or would I have to change levels I have them roll up for it
Seven

Re: Level conversion from 1e

Post by Seven »

That's an interesting question.

I think it's basically the same, but I feel default BFRPG characters are a bit weaker than the equivalent 1e characters of the same level. Some classes have fewer hit points. The 1e fighters could have superhuman strength. So, I'd probably feel safer if the BFRPG characters had 1 extra level.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

What Seven said. Plus keep in mind that the small difference in HP (except MU is same), will compound over the levels, so BFRPG characters will become pronouncedly less durable at the higher levels than the 1e counterparts.

A good way to rebalance an adventure is to replace monsters with a close BFRPG equivalent, at least whenever possible. This will immediately rebalance things a bit.

Also, keep in mind that BFRPG does not operate with the expectation that all encounters (or modules, traps, monsters in general) will balance perfectly with characters, levels, groups, etc. Players/Groups should expect that they may face insurmountable odds at times, and ought to retreat/run/escape or otherwise play smart when they face such obstacles. There is no pretense that complete fairness is built into anything BFRPG offers! With that in mind, you can play out the module as-is, and let the characters deal with the encounters as they see fit (and face the consequences of their actions accordingly). Just all to play out, adjust little bits on the fly, and otherwise just "run with it". Might just make it all more fun for all, and with less work.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Mustacheman

Post by Mustacheman »

Yeah I was gonna replace the sea zombies with a regular bf zombies restat. they are trapped on an island where over the course of the day before they can make their escape one way or another (or die trying). about 100+ zombies are going to come in waves I've offset some of that by allowing finite resources to build traps/barriers to kill/slow some zombies on the island but it's more or less a zombie survival encounter just for something different using the skeleton an map of an older module. And a potential boss fight if they arent beat to hell by the end. In case the mechanics I put in on my own make them breeze through it unscathed some how

Edit there is a single structure they can hold up in if they want too but after so many rounds the zombies will get in sort of idea also if that helps any in estimating.
Seven

Post by Seven »

For what it's worth, I have a BFRPG sea zombie in a binder somewhere. HD3 seemed appropriate to me. I'm thinking about adding a water wight. I'm still not satisfied with my ghost ship crews.