Character leveling up during adventure?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Reno

Character leveling up during adventure?

Post by Reno »

Reviewing the core rules, specifically the rule about only advancing one level per adventure:
No character may advance more than one level due to the
experience points from a single adventure. For example,
Barthal the Thief is 1st level and has 1,000 XP before
going on an adventure; during the adventure, he earns
2,000 more XP (an amazing feat). This would make his
total 3,000 XP, and he would be a 3rd level Thief. This is
not allowed; instead, he advances to 2,499 XP, one short
of the amount required for 3rd level, and starts his next
adventure at 2nd level.
It doesn't say anywhere specifically, but it sounds to me like advancement is only possible after an adventure. Sorta like some game systems where you have to pay a someone at a town to 'train' you up a level.

Looking for thoughts on this topic, ideas.. I'm thinking about requiring training.. cost would depend on how generous I plan on being as far as adventure rewards.

Thanks for any advice!
Dimirag

Re: Character leveling up during adventure?

Post by Dimirag »

That is up to the GM
It may depend on how long the adventure is
Som GM prefer to give xp at the end, some will require training, some will not
Others may want to give xp on the spot
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
CptClyde

Post by CptClyde »

I've definitely leveled up the PCs in the past, right in the middle of a dungeon. It sort of made for epic story as they were nearing the climactic battle and were "steeling themselves" for the big showdown so made sense that through sheer force of will (and destiny) they seemed to "improve" on the spot. Their new level HP rolls were added to their current totals and benefited them greatly. it felt kind of like a "Die Hard" movie lol

That said, 99% of the time I wait until they are back in town.
Reno

Post by Reno »

Thanks, for now I'll play it by ear... I'm running them through the Grave of Gareth, they are both really new just about got wiped already... they keep beating on the stone coffin even though the Druid noted a magic aura... much fun ;-)
Beowulf

Post by Beowulf »

IIRC in one of the recorded online game sessions that Chris Gonnerman ran a couple of characters gained a level while resting in camp during the game. He might have some official ruling. Over the years in my campaigns it's kind of assumed that leveled up by getting training between sessions but the more I think about it that's only a partial solution. Yeah, I can see that maybe a mage needs to learn a next level spell from someone but if a fighter gains levels by training then he could do that without adventuring. Presumably he becomes a better fighter by actually fighting. Of course, the extra hit points are maybe from working out, training, etc?

Kind of like hit points constitute an abstract pool of damage, maybe we shouldn't get too meta with the level-up, looking it at in the abstract as well?
Reno

Post by Reno »

I always considered training to level up a master teaching new skills, both defensive and offensive. HP/AB and spells could come from that.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

There is and will be no official ruling. It's a matter for the GM to decide.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Reno

Post by Reno »

I was really just looking for tips on the subject. My current group is my wife and a 16 year old foster kid we mentor... kids being kids I might want to err on the side of rewards sooner vs. later.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Well, I like to grant new hp, attack bonus, number of spells, etc automatically.
But I like the players to pay a mentor to get access to new spells or a cleric to go through some ritual back at their temple, to get access to a new level of spells.
I find it improves immersion.
Tazer_The_Yoot

Post by Tazer_The_Yoot »

Leveling mid-adventure can be a life saver. That new HD in particular. It depends on whether you feel the possibility of a sudden life line of that nature is thematically appropriate to your campaign.