Online BFRPG games?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Beowulf

Online BFRPG games?

Post by Beowulf »

Does anyone here participate in online BFRPG games? I looked over at Roll20 and I'm not seeing much.
teaman

Re: Online BFRPG games?

Post by teaman »

Beowulf wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:54 pm Does anyone here participate in online BFRPG games? I looked over at Roll20 and I'm not seeing much.
I've been running a game for a LONG time on roll20. I got my players initially through meetup (NEPA D&D) and one player actually from here on the BFRPGboards. His brother later joined the group. I never tried to get players through Roll20.

So if you are willing to DM, hit up your friends, discussion boards, and social media to find a group. There will be transitions in and out for players, just happens. If you just want to be a player, maybe someone is running from here. I know Solo had a game and he was kind enough to let me play.

Here's a couple other things that really worked for me:

1. Have one set night. Early on I tried to accommodate folks by switching nights and it didn't work. Just have a set night and if you don't get a quorum, meet next week.
2. Keep it to 2-3 hours. Adults are busy and carving out a couple hours can be really tricky.

Hope this helps, and sorry if I went too deep into the weeds.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I always canvas for new players on Facebook and here, even though I use Roll20 for my VTT.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Beowulf

Post by Beowulf »

I created a "throwaway" email address and signed up for facebook this week. Not a fan of FB overall but I need to find a way to connect with some gamers. I don't feel confident to try to run a game on Roll20 yet! :lol: First, I've never used the platform before and second, while I have played various RPGs going back to the late 70s I've never played BFRPG yet. For now I kind of want to ease into it, maybe try to get into an existing game on Roll20 that's kind of nOOb friendly.

I'm no Luddite, pretty computer savvy but haven't used the Roll20 platform enough to really know the ins and outs yet.
Beowulf

Post by Beowulf »

Is Roll20 easy to use? I'm certainly interested in giving it a shot if anyone is willing to accept a nOOb. :)
teaman

Post by teaman »

Beowulf wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:15 pm Is Roll20 easy to use? I'm certainly interested in giving it a shot if anyone is willing to accept a nOOb. :)
Right now I don't have a player slot, but I'd be happy to help with any questions you might have.

Another thing to remember: you don't have to use all the roll20 options. Start slow, folks can even just roll dice on their desk at home and use printed character sheets. We use Skype for audio or you could use Discord or Google meets (etc...)

Another EASIER option is owlbear rodeo:

https://www.owlbear.rodeo/

I don't think you can store character sheets on it, but it is a little more point and click than roll20.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
GrimlinJoe

Post by GrimlinJoe »

Beowulf wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:35 pm I created a "throwaway" email address and signed up for facebook this week. Not a fan of FB overall but I need to find a way to connect with some gamers. I don't feel confident to try to run a game on Roll20 yet! :lol: First, I've never used the platform before and second, while I have played various RPGs going back to the late 70s I've never played BFRPG yet. For now I kind of want to ease into it, maybe try to get into an existing game on Roll20 that's kind of nOOb friendly.

I'm no Luddite, pretty computer savvy but haven't used the Roll20 platform enough to really know the ins and outs yet.
Discord is another great platform for finding players. There is a BFRPG discord server and a few OSR servers. I myself run Play by Post games through discord (we use a bot for dice rolls) that has worked well for me so far.
Beowulf

Post by Beowulf »

I've been on Discord for a while but frankly find it baffling to find anything or navigate on it.
GrimlinJoe

Post by GrimlinJoe »

Beowulf wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:27 pm I've been on Discord for a while but frankly find it baffling to find anything or navigate on it.
Well if you are ever up for taming the Discord beast and giving it a try, feel free to let me know
Beowulf

Post by Beowulf »

Cool, I'll be poking around Discord a bit.