A new adventure idea that I am working on...

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Eric42

A new adventure idea that I am working on...

Post by Eric42 »

The Local Demon
an adventure idea meant for Basic Fantasy

The core idea is simple: a demon is angered when the entrance into his “crypt” is disturbed by the locals of the town is it located under. In response, the demon starts playing various kinda of practical jokes on the citizens of the town. These practical jokes however aren’t very funny to the locals. They are breaking out in blisters and boils, their crops and livestock are dying without rhyme or reason, and hell, their milk is even souring when totally fresh!

This is when the PCs show up. The town elders immediately recognize them and beg them to help them out. Investigating, the PCs will eventually run into a NPC that will tell them the whole mess began when a local was out at the Ancient Graveyard (or the Ancestor’s Graveyard) and knocked over some stones at a crypt site. This NPC suggests to the PCs that they should there in the graveyard. There the PCs would find clues to lead them to the crypt. Getting inside doesn’t prove hard and they find themselves inside fairly easy.

After a short exploration (the crypt isn’t too large), the PCs find themselves face to face with a demon who isn’t happy to see them but is also very scared of them. If the PCs try to fight, he does everything he can to get them to talk to him instead. Upon talking to them, the demon bargains with the PCs. If they can complete some quests for him, he’ll stop his “pranks” and maybe even leave.

And that is where I am at. Input? Anyone out there interested in helping out? After I get this idea more solid, I want to start writing this as an actual adventure. I am jotting down notes as I think of them, but would love to get feedback.
SmootRK

Re: A new adventure idea that I am working on...

Post by SmootRK »

A mystery, a cemetery, leading to a demon... sounds like great time.

Ok here is my little bit to spice it:
Demon has a couple of townie followers... and initially the clues lead to them (a somewhat mid adventure bad guy(s).. Sorta Scooby-Doo style... seems not a real ghost at all.

But additional clues in those townies places ultimately lead to the graveyard (perhaps a second tomb complex) and the demon itself.

Basically just to add a little more length to your adventure.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Seven

Post by Seven »

Yeah, there could be some herbs or oil that cause boils and blister. Souring milk is more tricky, but anyone can destroy crops and kill animals (pets?) in weird ways.
Eric42

Post by Eric42 »

I think the biggest block that I am having with this are the quests. I can not for the life of me think of what would be good quests for the demon. What does a demon ask for? lol.

Right now, I am researching "existing" demons in Basic Fantasy. So far, all I have found are the "Infernals" in Field Guide 1. Still gotta search through FG2 and 3. Anyone know of any other creatures that could be used to help create the demon? This demon in particular is a mix of a trickster but also is a huge coward (he is also a good actor and does his best to not show his cowardness at the start). I just don't know what abilities I should give him just yet.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Infernals is the generic BFRPG term for those beings of the underworld, nether-reaches, outlands, etc that are basically "evil".
Note BFRPG does not use Alignment, and avoids any semblance of a fully organized cosmology or structure of planes. This is not a bad thing... in effect it frees one up to use any sort of similar being without the worry of whether it is technically correct to the terminology for origins.

Your "demon" could be anything... could be a powerful Fairy or Satyr being that took a dark turn. Or it could be a Barghest (goblin lycanthrope-like demon thing), or anything else that has a dark otherworldly nature. I would bet the un-educated villagers call just about everything they cant account for as "demons".
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

It could just be an unnamed evil entity that its either trap or on other plane, no further explanation, it affect the town with its powers from the distance.

Players should be clearly warned that they must close the breach/recreate the seal, the entity can't be fight and must not be set free.
(If the players choose to set free the entity nothing destructive will happen instantly, the Entity will not manifest physically, maybe a laughter and thunders will fill the air, maybe players should roll against some curse, or they'll be thanked for their job by the Entity.

Instead of having "quests" for the Entity, have them in order to close the breach, gathering some mystical things, then bathing then under sunlight in a nearby temple, have them perform a kind or ritual quest after quest

The Entity is one that by its own nature and existence it twist and corrupts the local people or it simply enjoys doing his mischievousness.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Eric42

Post by Eric42 »

The demon I have kinda thought out. It's a prankster, but a total coward. Actually, what I kind of have in mind are the demons from Xanth. The picture that I have is more impish than anything.

I want the adventure to have a quite lighthearted feel to it, so I am going in the direction that I have come up with. In fact, the quests that I mentioned, I want to be more lighthearted as well.

Still figuring all of this out. I just came up with the idea yesterday morning so, hey I am doing better than normal for me. ;)
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

Eric42,
As you work on your project, post your work here. I recently had a computer crash and lost about 6 months of work on the Grimfall Quests. Now I have to go back and try to reconstruct what I had.
Your idea sounds like it would be fun to play. There is an adventure template in this posting:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2333

Have fun building your adventures.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

This is why I always say, share early, share often.

I lost about a day's work a week ago and that made me very unhappy...
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Eric42

Post by Eric42 »

Yeah, always a good idea. But since all i have right now is a phone and tablet, i an using Google docs to write everything up, so it is backed up already.