Some ideas for extra player content I've been brewing up, any advice?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Psionic-Tribute

Some ideas for extra player content I've been brewing up, any advice?

Post by Psionic-Tribute »

So not sure if this is the place to be posting this honestly, I know the workshop is I guess more for game design stuff, but I'm not really writing anything to be published per se, but I wanted to hash out some ideas and see if they weren't stupid and have some suggestions for game/class mechanics, so I'll be listing a few if my ideas below.

A lot of these ideas I would want to be in my games just because I play in a semi established world of mine that has been slowly created through the few months and several games we've been playing (as all my fantasy games are set on one world) so that's an influence and consideration.

Inquisitor Class

So I'm a big fan of 40k, at least older 40k, and I'm also a fan of hirelings and end-game domain play, so having a class tailored to those ideas sounds interesting.

I'd more or less be a thief or assassin with a few things subtracted, and a few things added, probably skills more focused to investigating and interrogating, better odds to find secret doors. but the big one is that after a certain level they start attracting henchmen, or Acolytes and agents serving under them, able to perform tasks and do their own sub investigating or services.

the bigger point of an Inquisitor is they are state sponsored and derive their power and authority from the state they serve, be it an empire or dictatorship, Nation or City-state.

Lycanthrope Quasi-Class

this would probably represent more of someone who has werewolf heritage as opposed to being cursed or inflicted

I have no clue how I'd do this in basic fantasy, but I've always had a special place for werewolves in my setting, I just like them. I'd probably also rework and make their monster block a bit more scary or interesting.

I tend to put them in the same group as elementals and druids, more or less beings of nature or natural products of the world, instead ft the classic trope of someone inflicted with a satanic curse and waking up hairy on a full moon.

regardless, how I'd represent them in game system would be a tricky, one idea I had was as they gain levels they have a die they roll for certain things, maybe 1-5 levels it's a d4, 6-10 it's d6, 11-15 it's a d8 and then 16-20 it's a d10. they add this roll to subtract damage from attacks hit them, or add it to saving throws against them, and add this die to rolls that use strength. also some form of regeneration as well, so every so many turns they roll this die, so 1/4 rounds they roll to regain those hitpoints in the die size listed on the level table, and that rate improves with level, so a it becomes 1/3 rounds, or 1/2, until it's happening every round at higher levels. of course damage done by silver ignores this benefit.

they probably only get these benefits when transformed, perhaps that's based on level how many times they can transform a day or for how long, but I like the idea they can do it a lot.

three last little ideas, is them being forced to transform on full moons, and they have to roll a 2d6 reaction roll to determine a form of behavior they take on that night towards NPCs and party members. gaining a full on wolf form as well. and Finally wolf skills, it'd just be hearing and smelling, using a percentile die to determine if you hear or smell something on man-wolf or wolf form.

I'd probably also throw on a high 25% XP increase to gain levels when a werewolf for the benefits it gives or higher depending.

Aasimar & Dhampir Player Races

I did sort of a lore tweak to the idea of Aasimar or "lesser angelics"
I was very inspired by how Tolkien handled angelic beings, with the Artery (or wizards) sent to middle earth by the Valar, in the same vein the Aasimar of my world are very few in number, maybe 20 of them in existence at any given time. I'd probably just give them a decent once a day kind of thing they can do, or a way weaker version of cleric's turn undead.

Dhampir however is the reverse, the unholy offspring of a mortal and undead vampire, the only idea I really had for this is the player rolls on a weakness and powers table at character reaction.
some of the weaknesses might be.

* Harmed by Sunlight.
*Compulsive Counting of thrown rice or beads for 1d4 turns.
*Can't move across running water.
*Has to save against a holy symbol or be turned like an undead.

and then benefits like
*Walk on walls or ceiling.
*Mist or Bat form
*Doesn't need to eat or breath.

Just some basic ideas, the premise being they don't get the full suite of vampire powers but rather a single weakness and advantage a vampire has to represent their heritage.

Gladiator Class

Really simple premise, they're more or less a figher, but focused on wrestling and showmenship, much like the Inquisitor class idea, it's semi focused on the late game domain play stuff, where you attract followers and attention and form a cult of personality, so you're a less well rounded fighter, but you got a lot of henchmen!

Hemomancer Quasi-Class

Okay this last idea is fairly straight forward as well and is semi inspired by Matt Mercer Blood Hunter class, and the Basic Fantasy Bard supplement.

You'd get to learn a set amount of Rites you can perform that give certain benefits in exchange for hit points you dealt to yourself, and if you were playing a magic user, you'd also gain some blood related spells to your spellbook/spell-list.

That sort of capstones my ideas more or less.
Dimirag

Re: Some ideas for extra player content I've been brewing up, any advice?

Post by Dimirag »

Lycanthropes are quite simple in BFRPG, they have a normal wolf size, no hybrid form, they are cursed and have some weapon immunity, so the character would be able to shape into a wolf at certain times unless you wish to add extra bonuses.

Aasimar & Dhampir Player Races: Check the supplement "Tainted and Touched" for ideas.

Gladiator Class: Check the "Additional Fighting Sub-Classes" supplement.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Psionic-Tribute

Re: Some ideas for extra player content I've been brewing up, any advice?

Post by Psionic-Tribute »

yeah I don't like the BFRG lycanthropes out of the box, hence why I want to change their monster stat block and also give a player option. they don't fit what I want to do with them.