Collaborative Solo WestMarches Hexcrawl Discord Server

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
CptClyde

Collaborative Solo WestMarches Hexcrawl Discord Server

Post by CptClyde »

So a good fellow by the name of Xelor (@xelor) has setup a discord server to host a collaborative BFRPG solo WestMarches hexcrawl campaign. That's a lot of descriptive words in a row. So I'll break it down and explain it briefly:
We have a starting town ("Treble Cliff") placed in the middle of our shared (blank) hex map, and the surrounding wilderness is unexplored. Anyone can roll up a character/party and play out a solo hexcrawl session using any emulator/tables/procedures they wish (a couple of us are using the "Hexcrawl Adventures" from workshop). After we play out our adventure we record our session logs (where we went, what we encountered etc.) in the discord channel, update the shared hex map to show what hexes were explored, update the shared "Rumours & Legends" to record what we found (ei. a ruin in hex 4007) and update the "graveyard" with a listing of any lost adventurers. As we play we are collaboratively creating a vibrant, living world where people can investigate others' found secrets/legends/rumour and follow up on loose plot threads or take up new quests. All self generated and played out solo at your own pace and schedule. It's a good time and we'd like to invite anyone else interested to come join the discord server https://discord.gg/PcfPjKCukW

Here's an apt quote from the founder summarizing the current state of the campaign:

"So nearing the end of the month (4 days left) we've got a mage and her soon dwarf cleric companion possibly going after a cart in the wilds for a skeevy innkeep to earn a little respect for bad life decisions; a traumatized fighter recuperating after witnessing evil blood roses suck the marrow from the rest of his party; a young elf heading west on a righteous quest in search of his family and homeland; a trio of luckless saps who despite being robbed and forced to hunt for food are likely currently the world's best hope against an incoming apocalypse heralded by a demon tearing in from another plane; and a party of adventurers just trying to scrape together some cash while encountering bouts of bad luck again and again "

hope to see you there!
Last edited by CptClyde on Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CptClyde

Re: Collaborative Solo WestMarches Hexcrawl Discord Server

Post by CptClyde »

Just an update on this: We now have 39 members, about 5 active members playing weekly solo sessions and posting to our #session-logs channel. The #rumour-legends channel is starting to really grow now as our blank hex map of the wilderness is starting to be explored and filled in. The legend of the rise of the Demon Wolf Fenrir has reached the ears of the local inhabitants and now many adventurers are in search of the 3 amulets needed to stop him.... well at least it's on our minds. None of the adventurers are having great luck in their travels so far and are struggling to survive to reach level 2. There are currently 17 characters laid to rest in the #graveyard and 26 active PCs. One is a level 3 human fighter (who's seen no less than 3 parties die horribly), and one is a 2nd level Human Cleric (who's the 3rd PC of the player). We've had one collaboration between 2 players (each bring a party of PCs) who came together for a session to rid the local area of a bandit hide-out. 4 out of 8 PCs died in that confrontation but the dice were very lucky and they actually defeated the band of 13 and recovered enough treasure to retire on...... if they hadn't squandered it immediately (to level up of course ;))

Feel free to come join in the fun!
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

This sounds like alot fun!
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
IryokuHikari

Post by IryokuHikari »

I'm interested to join and see what's what, but your Discord invite is dead. Do you have an updated one?
CptClyde

Post by CptClyde »

Sorry not sure why that keeps expiring. Link updated again. Look forward to seeing you there!
IryokuHikari

Post by IryokuHikari »

I think you can set it to not expire, it's a toggle or something. It's been a while since I made a permanent invite though, so I may be misremembering.
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

I just wanted to state I've been playing this a few months now and having an absolute blast! The hour of the Demon Wolf Fenrir is upon us now and all of the different players/characters are scrambling to find clues in how to defeat it. Picture playing an RPG where you are running characters with other people also running characters in a shared land. What you do my affect their characters, and your characters can even pass on quests to them. Anyways I've been loving a chance to get my BFRPG on, playtest some more adventures from all the different books and just have some fun with other people.
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
Starlord

Post by Starlord »

Is this still alive and active? If so id be curious
HernesSon

Post by HernesSon »

I'm also sort of curious about this. I've been setting up a bunch of stuff to do some solo play of BFRPG, and this sounds like a neat community to connect with.
The Hooded Man will come to the forest, there to meet with Herne the Hunter, to be his son and do his bidding.
Starlord

Post by Starlord »

I'm in the same boat. I've done a few sessions solo with the hexcrawl supplement and really liked it.

If you were going solo what GM Emulator would you use