Solo Play Companion

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
GrimlinJoe

Solo Play Companion

Post by GrimlinJoe »

So knowing that we have a good amount of players here who enjoy solo roleplay, whether it is a single player controlling a party of characters or a single character. I am wanting to make a simple lightweight rules companion for Basic Fantasy. There has been a good amount of content created by the community here that has inspired me to attempt to make a one stop shop rules overlay to assist in solo adventure generation/play to expedite the process.

I suppose my issue is what content is worth including. I want to utilize as much from the Core rules as possible to make rules referencing easier but I also don't want to end up with a document full of charts and tables. Something simple to spark ideas and that you can use when needed.

Some ideas I have so far is a possible Adventure hook generator (if needed). I have an idea for a dungeon generator that you would roll a 1d6 to choose the size of the dungeon. The size would go up using a die for the number of rooms (1d4,1d6,1d8,1d10,1d12,1d20). Possibly adding a +2 to the roll for entrance and "Boss chamber".

I have a few other rule concepts for making solo play alittle easier by adjusting the encounters and damage dealt by monsters to make it easier for one pc to handle a bit more in combat. Possibly adjusting mobs to 1 leader and the rest minions with a single HP.

Again all of this is just in the brainstorming phase and it could use some input from those that are interested. Let me know if this would be a worthwhile project or if you have input.

Thanks

(UPDATE) I have attached a rough draft of my solo play options in case anyone is interested. It would be cool to get it formatted into a supplement but one step at a time.
Attachments
Solo Roleplay Companion.docx
(19.16 KiB) Downloaded 456 times
Last edited by GrimlinJoe on Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ioannes_Nuncius

Re: New project I'm working on (Solo Play Companion)

Post by Ioannes_Nuncius »

Great idea!

I know nothing about game design, so I can't help except with encouragement.

Maybe look into the Scarlet Heroes system for ideas on scaling encounters for single characters?
CptClyde

Post by CptClyde »

As a side note, this may be of interest to you as well. Feel free to join in!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4324
GrimlinJoe

Post by GrimlinJoe »

Ioannes_Nuncius wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:50 pm Great idea!

I know nothing about game design, so I can't help except with encouragement.

Maybe look into the Scarlet Heroes system for ideas on scaling encounters for single characters?
Exactly what I planned using for inspiration
GrimlinJoe

Post by GrimlinJoe »

CptClyde wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:11 am As a side note, this may be of interest to you as well. Feel free to join in!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4324
I have joined. I will definitely take a look and hopefully contribute somehow
GrimlinJoe

Post by GrimlinJoe »

Posted the word document including my homebrew rules for solo play in the first post. If you have any feed back or critiques please let me know.