Saving Throws

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Falstaff

Saving Throws

Post by Falstaff »

I'm gearing up to run an old school campaign for my Pathfinder buddies, using BRFP. Thing is, some of them really do not like the BFRP/Old School saving throws, and much prefer PF's.

I'm trying to figure out how to make BFRP's saving throws, more like PF's. I can get the individual class level modifiers from the PF SRD but I can't figure how to work out the PF saving throw DCs.

Does anyone know how to calculate the saving throw DCs for spells, and things like disease/poison (Fort), and dodging a runaway cart (Ref)?

Thanks all.

EDIT: Basically, I would like to figure out saving throw DCs, similar to PF's but without all the complexity that PF has.
Blorpy

Re: Saving Throws

Post by Blorpy »

I believe you’re looking for this:

https://www.basicfantasy.org/showcase.cgi?sid=74
Falstaff

Post by Falstaff »

Blorpy wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:37 pm I believe you’re looking for this:

https://www.basicfantasy.org/showcase.cgi?sid=74
Kind of. They are static saves whereas PF's are modifiers gauged against a DC. The trouble is, the DCs are a pain to work out (compared to BFRP). E.g. 10+ 1/2 Spellcaster's level, and other modifiers.

I think I'm just going to stick with BRFP's optional saving throws and apply racial modifiers like dwarves getting +2 against (Fort) poison, and things like that.

Thanks for the reply.
Seven

Post by Seven »

What does DC stands for?
Falstaff

Post by Falstaff »

Seven wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:05 pm What does DC stands for?
I think it's for Difficulty Class.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Seven wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:05 pm What does DC stands for?
Difficult Class: Similar to an Armor Class, but the value change for each situation and is based on several factors, for ex. Spells DC equals the spell level + ability modifier on some games (in other versions spell level is replaced by a value based on the casters level).
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Clever_Munkey

Post by Clever_Munkey »

Falstaff wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:01 pm Kind of. They are static saves whereas PF's are modifiers gauged against a DC. The trouble is, the DCs are a pain to work out (compared to BFRP). E.g. 10+ 1/2 Spellcaster's level, and other modifiers.

I think I'm just going to stick with BRFP's optional saving throws and apply racial modifiers like dwarves getting +2 against (Fort) poison, and things like that.

Thanks for the reply.
This is the way to go. Saves in PF scale very differently than in BFRPG. Trying to import saves directly from PF might give some unexpected results. Monster HD is inflated in PF compared to BFRPG is one factor. Another is that the expectation in BFRPG is that saving throws will get easier to make at higher levels while in PF the chances are expected to remain the same or get harder (assuming they are fighting something "level appropriate").

If you want to have some more variability in save difficulty, use situational penalties or bonuses, e.g. particularly weak or virulent poisons might give a +4/-4 modifier to the roll.
Call me Joe. Mr. Munkey is my father.
Falstaff

Post by Falstaff »

Clever_Munkey wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:53 pm
Falstaff wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:01 pm Kind of. They are static saves whereas PF's are modifiers gauged against a DC. The trouble is, the DCs are a pain to work out (compared to BFRP). E.g. 10+ 1/2 Spellcaster's level, and other modifiers.

Thanks for the reply.
This is the way to go. Saves in PF scale very differently than in BFRPG. Trying to import saves directly from PF might give some unexpected results. Monster HD is inflated in PF compared to BFRPG is one factor. Another is that the expectation in BFRPG is that saving throws will get easier to make at higher levels while in PF the chances are expected to remain the same or get harder (assuming they are fighting something "level appropriate").

If you want to have some more variability in save difficulty, use situational penalties or bonuses, e.g. particularly weak or virulent poisons might give a +4/-4 modifier to the roll.
Agreed. That's what I have done. Thanks for the feedback.