Been Running B2, Keep on the Borderlands using BFRPG.

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Psionic-Tribute

Been Running B2, Keep on the Borderlands using BFRPG.

Post by Psionic-Tribute »

I must say the conversion work is very smooth, every monster presented in B2 has a version in the basic fantasy core book, and NPC stats are easy to convert when they do appear.

The group I'm running for is younger, the oldest player is 15, youngest 8.

Some changes I've made to the Module:

I decided the evil cult in the caves of chaos are worshippers to Orcas and so I've leaned harder into the undead and zombies. they are also the reason so many different humanoid races are present as they have summoned them via dark and terrible powers. their evil plan is to make all the tribes fight and kill one another, then raise them back as zombie troops. typical bad guy evil stuff.

I've added another faction, White Apes who live in the caves of unknown and are technically the native tribe here.

There is a wild Earth elemental wandering the local wilderness, every few days it stands outside the keep and shakes it's fist at it, and generally acts very annoyed there are people here.

Meanwhile there is also a Shoggoth beast roaming the area, which is what the Earth elemental is been chasing and trying to destroy.

I also have a dynamic encounter table, so I can roll for a single or several tribes, how they are interacting or reacting to one another and so on and so forth.

What's going on currently in the game?

One of the first things that happened is the players ran into a group of White Apes being ambushed by Orcs, the players got involved and slew the Orcs, and saved the White Apes, while they couldn't speak to one another the White Apes seemed to be friendly after realizing the players had been helping them due to a good reaction roll.

Later the players teamed up with the Priest at the Tavern and then decided to go to the Caves of Chaos, they basically stormed and slaughtered all the Kobolds via oil flasks and flaming tender, and after which the Priest revealed he was evil and a servant of the cult, at that point the players nearly got TPKed until the White Apes arrived and tipped the balance of that fight, making the Players and White Apes debt balanced.

The players left, healed up, and made a few more attempts at the caves over the week they were staying at the keep, pawning off loot and so forth but they can't seem to make any inroads as they get chased off by the different humanoids each time.

One of my players asked if they could be given a more clear reason as to why they should keep going back to the Caves and how to do so with some level of success.

I'm thinking about introducing the Elf Advisor at the keep, and giving the players advice through the elf that perhaps some of the humanoids are unwitting pawns in a bigger game, or that they could be reasoned with, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not?

so always looking for suggestions and such.
MinkyBoodle

Re: Been Running B2, Keep on the Borderlands using BFRPG.

Post by MinkyBoodle »

I like your use of the White Apes. Have you looked at the BFRPG book JN2 Monkey Isle? There are many intelligent simians in there that you might be able to include as well.

The Elf Advisor might not be a terrible idea, especially if you are dealing with relatively new players. Sometimes players need a little push to help them figure out a new approach.
"My love is my sword."
"If I were you I'd stay away from thoughts like that."
-Dekar and Guy, Lufia II
teaman

Post by teaman »

MinkyBoodle wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:42 am I like your use of the White Apes. Have you looked at the BFRPG book JN2 Monkey Isle? There are many intelligent simians in there that you might be able to include as well.

The Elf Advisor might not be a terrible idea, especially if you are dealing with relatively new players. Sometimes players need a little push to help them figure out a new approach.
An advisor or patron would be a great way to help provide motivation and also advice. The caves are pretty deadly if you pick the wrong ones at low level.

Also, a rescue party of a captured townsperson is another great motivator for adventure. I almost always run a rescue scenario for first time players.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
Psionic-Tribute

MinkyBoodle wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:42 am I like your use of the White Apes. Have you looked at the BFRPG book JN2 Monkey Isle? There are many intelligent simians in there that you might be able to include as well.

I'll have to check out JN2 and see what they have, I'm using the White Ape statblock from Labyrinth Lord currently.
Psionic-Tribute

I'll consider trying that idea maybe to help motivate the players if the Elven Advisor isn't a good enough push, otherwise I might let them just go somewhere else or deal with some side quest type deals.

Of course if they choose not to, they're gonna notice a lot more zombies over the coming weeks.
ironbull

Post by ironbull »

Some very interesting ideas here! I'm in the process of re-working B2 myself. I've run it many times over the years. It is by far my favorite module. I may have an opportunity to start a new campaign soon and plan to use B2 as my primary adventuring area. Essentially what I'm doing is using the map of the Keep and the map of the Caves, but re-writing most of the details.

Perhaps when I get it done, I'll be able to share it with those who are interested.
======================
ironbull
FakeHealer

Post by FakeHealer »

There is The Chaotic Caves BFRPG module that is essentially a rewrite of the Caves of Chaos...you could use that for a bit of a change. I like the idea of using the Fort from Morgansfort and The Chaotic Caves together to create a new spin of the old Keep on the Borderlands. Feeling, nostalgia, a sense of being familiar and yet totally reskinned.
Tazer_The_Yoot

Post by Tazer_The_Yoot »

FakeHealer wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:21 am There is The Chaotic Caves BFRPG module that is essentially a rewrite of the Caves of Chaos...you could use that for a bit of a change. I like the idea of using the Fort from Morgansfort and The Chaotic Caves together to create a new spin of the old Keep on the Borderlands. Feeling, nostalgia, a sense of being familiar and yet totally reskinned.
I've been known to bash B2 and the BFRPG module together in the past. Just expand the caverns and keep veteran players on their toes.

"Oh, I've been here before. Wait...no I haven't."
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

I did B1 - Into the Unknown using BFRPG.. It was a really easy conversion but that dungeon is a trip!
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
Tazer_The_Yoot

Post by Tazer_The_Yoot »

dymondy2k wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:25 pm I did B1 - Into the Unknown using BFRPG.. It was a really easy conversion but that dungeon is a trip!
That book has really great GM advice by Mike Carr in the intro section that holds up to this day, by the way.