BFRPG + Bulfinch's Mythology

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
tkdco2

BFRPG + Bulfinch's Mythology

Post by tkdco2 »

I'm considering a campaign based on Bulfinch's Mythology. There are three settings to choose from:

1. The Age of Fable: Mainly Greek Mythology, but includes a short section on Norse Mythology and a few others.

2. The Age of Chivalry: Arthurian Legends and accounts of notable knights in history, as well as some tales of Robin Hood.

3. Legends of Charlemagne: A fantasy version of Charlemagne and his Paladins.

Most of the PCs' opponents will be human or animal, but the tales also include monsters which are listed in the BFRPG rulebook. The PCs themselves will be human, but the core classes would be available.

I don't think there would be too much work involved, but are any changes to the core rules I should make?
Dimirag

Re: BFRPG + Bulfinch's Mythology

Post by Dimirag »

If you are going for a peplum style game, maybe changing armor and shield AC values and or using the defense bonus option.

Changing the spells progression to make it more low magic may not be a bad idea.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
teaman

Post by teaman »

Dimirag wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 9:43 am If you are going for a peplum style game, maybe changing armor and shield AC values and or using the defense bonus option.

Changing the spells progression to make it more low magic may not be a bad idea.
I use a defense roll. It's simply (AC-20)+DEX Bonus. The just have to beat a static number for the opponent (10+opponents attack bonus).

And when I fudge it, I just use 10+monster level. So to avoid a blow from a 5th level creature, roll a 15 or better.

One bonus is that players are rolling more often, so they have something to do even between their rounds. A slight con is that it is slightly slower than me just rolling the bad guys and telling them what happens. My players seem to like the defense roll, no real complaints.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
tkdco2

Post by tkdco2 »

Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe I can treat Greek armor as chainmail to account for the lesser coverage. Hoplite shields were pretty massive, so maybe they can add an extra +1 to AC. No changes to the armor rules if I use the Arthurian or Carolingian cycles, although I may also limit armor to chainmail.

The weapon list would probably be shortened for the Ancient Greek setting. Spears would be the main weapon. Short swords, daggers, axes, slings, and javelins would be available. Bows would mainly be short bows, but exceptional bows like the one owned by Odysseus can be treated as long bows. I'll allow long swords if I go with Norse Mythology.

The spell list would need a few restrictions. Magic Missile and Fireball wouldn't be appropriate to the setting, but Charm Person and Polymorph Other would definitely work. Same deal with the Medieval legends.

Monsters may be a bit tricky for the Arthurian and Carolingian legends. Giants, ghosts, and fey-folk would be around, but many fantasy rpg monsters wouldn't exist as written. I'd just use whatever stat block fits and change the appearance. There was an Orc in the Carolingian legends but it was a sea monster. The knight Rogero fought it while mounted on a hippogriff.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Sounds more like an orca to me.
tkdco2

Post by tkdco2 »

Seven wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 9:19 pm Sounds more like an orca to me.
Not really. The sea monster had thick scales that prevented injury. Only the use of a shield that could stun any onlooker allowed the knight to defeat it.

If you want to know more, Google search "Ruggiero Freeing Angelica." Several painters depicted the scene. I won't post a link because the pictures can be considered NSWF due to nudity.
Seven

Post by Seven »

tkdco2

Post by tkdco2 »

Point taken, although the orc did have tusks like that of a boar. Of course, whales were sometimes drawn that way in Medieval times. But as several artists depicted the monster as serpentine, a sea dragon would also work.

Moving along, hobgoblins appear in the Carolingian legends as animal-headed humanoids, so they can be added to the bestiary. That would allow other humanoids like kobolds or gnolls to be included.

I am thinking of allowing clerics to use a weapon associated with the god they worship. So clerics of Apollo and Artemis can use bows, and priests of Ares and Athena can use spears. If the god's weapon is already on the allowed weapons list, like Thor's warhammer, the cleric of that god will get a +1 bonus to hit with that weapon.
Seven

Post by Seven »

I didn't think Bulfinch covered Thor.

Tridents for priests of Poseidon and hammers for priests of Hephaestus and torches for priests of Demeter. And, maybe girdles for priests of Aphrodite. It think it's better than a lettuce.
tkdco2

Post by tkdco2 »

Bulfinch's work includes a short section on Norse Mythology, so a few of the Aesir's adventures are included. A few others are given lip service, but not enough to base a campaign on. There is a section on the Mabinogion after the tales of King Arthur.

TSR produced a few historical/legendary sourcebooks, but these are out of print. I have a couple of them. I would love to run a purely historical campaign, but my players aren't interested. ICE also put out a sourcebook on Vikings and Greek Mythology; they contain both Rolemaster and HERO stats, since ICE owned HERO Games at the time.