Getting started with Hexcrawls

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
GrimlinJoe

Getting started with Hexcrawls

Post by GrimlinJoe »

I have been running play by post games for BFRPG for alittle over two years now and all have been one shots. Most have been from the AA series of adventures or using some of JohnDice's solo pamphlets as a one shot (love those lil things). Due to some players unable to commit to some of my games long term (more than a month) or dropping out randomly (everyone faces this problem) it has led me to start toying with the idea of running a pseudo west marches style hexcrawl.

I don't often have troubles getting started with adventure planning but this one has puzzled me. I'm aware of CptClydes procedural hexcrawl supplement and the Overland travel supplement by Lord of half castle and have used these to play solo when I'm not DMing. I would really like to get an idea for how other DMs approach running a Hexcrawl or West Marches style of play.
BusterBluth

Re: Getting started with Hexcrawls

Post by BusterBluth »

When I ran my group through Dwimmermount, there was some extensive hex-crawling going on, when the PCs needed to visit a specific person in a distant town or city.

Tracking time is important for a variety of reasons. You'll want to know what random encounters can happen in different areas, and probably you'll want to scale those random encounters so that the scarier ones are farther from the campaign's point of origin.

Sprinkle some important sites around your map. You'll want to prep them once the PCs start showing interest in them.

Let the players try buying maps, but they can be incomplete and incorrect.

Don't forget about weather! Weather can be a vital element when traveling. You can find a couple of good systems for weather from old issues of Dragon magazine.

Give some thought to big events that are in progress or that could develop over time, and how your party might get drawn into them. As the PCs grow in power, it's only natural that they'll have a role in political and/or military matters.
GrimlinJoe

Post by GrimlinJoe »

Wow thank you that is a great bit of starting info
tkdco2

Post by tkdco2 »

Keeping track of food and water would also be important. BFRPG includes rules on how much characters require and what happens to them if they don't get their daily allowance.