Importing stuff from other games?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
tkdco2

Re: Importing stuff from other games?

Post by tkdco2 »

I have been trying to translate The Lord of the Rings Online (LOTRO) MMO to D&D/BFRPG terms. I think most of the classes are fighters with different weapon specialties. I can always use the hunter quasi-class or the ranger class for LOTRO hunters. Minstrels would use the bard as a cleric subclass option, as they are the primary healers in the game. Burglars would be thieves, of course.

Beornings present a special problem, as they are a race as class option. I'm not sure if there are any shapeshifter options in BFRPG; I didn't notice any in the Downloads section. Maybe they can be a type of druid. A barbarian with shapeshifting ability would also work.
Seven

Post by Seven »

tkdco2 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:18 pm Beornings present a special problem, as they are a race as class option. I'm not sure if there are any shapeshifter options in BFRPG; I didn't notice any in the Downloads section. Maybe they can be a type of druid. A barbarian with shapeshifting ability would also work.
A Werebear fighter?
tkdco2

Post by tkdco2 »

That could work. Werebear barbarian would be better, since Beornings in LOTRO have a Rage mechanic. They have some healing ability as well, but I can drop that part.
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

There is a supplement that covers using monsters as PC races somewhere on the forums/site. I think it is in the showcase section.
tkdco2

Post by tkdco2 »

Thanks. I'll take a look at it.
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

It's in the download section for the English version. It was the French version I saw in the Showcase section. Sorry about pointing in the wrong direction.
tkdco2

Post by tkdco2 »

I've considered using settings like Lankhmar and the Old World from Warhammer. I'd use BFRPG rules and treat setting material as flavor. I have the AD&D Lankhmar sourcebook, so most changes would be minimal. I will probably need to figure out corruption rules for the Warhammer setting; maybe I can use the rules from my MERP conversion.
Seven

Post by Seven »

I've used Lankhmar with 1E and I wasn't happy with the result.
That was a long, long time ago.
tkdco2

Post by tkdco2 »

The Lankhmar boxed set includes a booklet maps of neighborhoods, ruins, etc. that are meant to be put in the city map as the DM wishes. They are generic enough to be used in any system and setting.

I also have the Carcosa booklet written by Geoffrey McKinney. I may do some conversions, but only the expurgated version. The full version includes some gruesome details that my players and I just aren't interested in using. I will be modifying the sorcerer class to let the fighters keep some of their special abilities to themselves.
tkdco2

Post by tkdco2 »

I came up with a way to translate LOTRO levels to D&D/BFRPG levels. I used to divide the maximum level by a set amount (between 5 to 7 usually), but I've recently had second thoughts about it. RPG characters need to earn more xp as they increase in level, and that applies to LOTRO (and I assume other MMOs). So it can make more sense to scale the levels for conversion. That would be trickier and a lot more work. Would it be worth it?