Importing stuff from other games?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
tkdco2

Importing stuff from other games?

Post by tkdco2 »

Like many of you, I have a ton of material from different games. Some of my stuff can be imported into BFRPG. I was just wondering how much work I should put into converting.

Iron Falcon: I have a pdf of the Iron Falcon rules; thanks again, Chris. There are a few things I would like to import to BFRPG like spells and magic items. I mainly like the attack tables. I'm one of the folks who still prefer the THAC0 system; the ascending AC in BFRPG was my main reason for taking so long to embrace the game (that said, ascending AC really is faster when playing solo). I notice the IF attack progression is similar to that of BFRPG. Would it change the game significantly if I used the attack tables?

D&D/AD&D: Two of my favorite monster manuals are the 2e Monstrous Manual and the Rules Cyclopedia-era AC9 Creature Catalogue. Most of the conversions are easy, but I noticed that the xp awards in BFRPG are calculated differently from D&D and AD&D. Are the differences big enough to bother converting the monster xp?

I know I'm overthinking it, but that's how I roll.
sean8223

Re: Importing stuff from other games?

Post by sean8223 »

If I'm writing something new, and the monster I want is in BFRPG I'll prefer that definition. If not, or if I am using a published adventure, I will just convert the AC to ascending using 9 or 10 as the unarmored basis per the source edition. Everything else, I keep the same.

One thing I've found is that the BFRPG treasure tables are extremely compatible with those from AD&D and B/X:

* Treasure types A-I are more or less equivalent
* BFRPG treasure types J-O are more or less equivalent to Moldvay/Cook J-O and to AD&D O-T
* BFRPG treasure types P-T are more or less equivalent to Moldvay/Cook P-T and to AD&D J-N
* BFRPG treasure types U-V are more or less equivalent to Moldvay/Cook U-V but don't have an AD&D equivalent
* AD&D treasure types U-Z don't have a BFRPG or Moldvay/Cook equivalent

Since I use the XP for GP rule, the PCs usually get more experience from treasure than combat, so the XP variance across definitions isn't really noticeable given the similarities in the treasure structures. This is one of those subtle design features that makes BFRPG such a good Rosetta stone for running OSR content.
tkdco2

Post by tkdco2 »

Thanks, Sean. I would probably use the Basic Fantasy version if available most of the time. It's when I mix BFRPG with other material where monster xp is an issue. I can always calculate the xp, but it may be easier to ignore the differences. That's what I'm trying to decide for my games.

I also use gold for experience, although I'm thinking about switching to a silver-based economy. I haven't given a lot of thought to treasure except for magic items. I will take a look at the other games for inspiration.
tkdco2

Post by tkdco2 »

I may include versions of both 2e and BFRPG monsters. Some undead like wights and wraiths have more hit dice in 2e; I may use those as "upgraded" versions of these monsters. XP values would be as listed in the 2e Monstrous Manual.

I am also thinking of using fear and horror checks from the Ravenloft setting. Very powerful monsters like demons or ancient dragons would have this effect. Save vs, Paralyzation (WIS modifiers apply) are required to stave off any effects.

I haven't seen any rules for mass combat in BFRPG. I don't need them at the moment, so it's not yet an issue. However, if a battle or skirmish takes place, it would be nice to have them. I have the War Machine rules from BECMI, but I'm not satisfied with those rules. I may borrow rules from a wargame. I don't have Warhammer, but I have a few skirmish games available.
therealt

Post by therealt »

Hi there! Have you seen this thread?

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4129

I used a variation of this method for mass combat. It turned out to be fun for my party.
tkdco2

Post by tkdco2 »

Thanks for the link, therealt! I'll give it a try.
tkdco2

Post by tkdco2 »

I probably will also use the 2e height, weight, and starting age for the different races.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
tkdco2

Post by tkdco2 »

Thanks, that's a useful site.
Solomoriah
Site Admin