House Rules

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
knottyprof2

Re: House Rules

Post by knottyprof2 »

Last couple posts got me thinking about hero points in Pathfinder (I think 5e may have a similar option as well). Could see implementing something like that where each character starts out with 1 hero point at 1st level and they could be awarded for gaining levels or accomplishing an in-game goal. Though part of the draw to OSR for me is that 0 hp is dead, no funky mechanic to see if the character is really dead. Since I just had a TPK last game with a random encounter for my 1st level party it is something worth considering though with some pretty severe limitations on them. If I implemented something like that they would not be given out very frequently and once used, that's it. Will have to write something up and discuss with players to see what they think (I am sure they would be okay with it just because they suffered a TPK).
Owner, Publisher, and Creator of the Knotty-Works.
Played the original OSR back in the 80's and never looked back, though paused a couple of times.
knottyprof2

Post by knottyprof2 »

With the TPK last week, the new party has 2 clerics in it now and 1st level Clerics really don't bring much since they don't get spells until 2nd level. So I came up with the following tonight
Clerical Blessings
At the beginning of the day, the cleric can bless one or more party members with specific boons as long as the individual isn’t antithetical towards the cleric’s deity or spiritual tenets. At 1st level, the cleric may grant one blessing, and one additional blessing every other level thereafter up to a total of 10 blessings at 19th level. A recipient can receive up to 3 blessings as long as they are not the same type. The cleric decides what blessing to grant and may choose from the following:
Divine Guidance: +1 bonus to all attacks for a number of rounds equal to half the cleric’s level (round up).
Divine Inspiration: +1 bonus to initiative for a number of rounds equal to half the cleric’s level (round up)
Divine Protection: +1 bonus to AC for a number of rounds equal to the cleric’s level
Divine Providence: +1 bonus to a single saving throw (increases by +1 for every three levels of the cleric beyond 1st to a maximum of +5)
Divine Retribution: damage bonus equal to 1/3 the cleric’s level (rounded up) for one attack
Divine Shield: Undead and otherworldly creatures suffer a -2 penalty to any attack against the blessed character for a number of rounds equal to half the cleric’s level (round up)
Divine Wrath: one weapon is treated as both silver and magical for purposes of smiting creatures normally immune to normal weapons for a number of rounds equal to half the cleric’s level
Healing Touch: restore 1d4 hit points of damage
The blessing is typically marked on the character – in a non-permanent fashion – or they are given a small mundane object acting as a symbol for the blessing. The blessing must be activated, though it is immediate and doesn’t take an action. But once triggered grants a onetime effect as listed above. Once a blessing is used, the character gains no further effect from it until the cleric grants other blessings the next day. A character can only receive a blessing from a single cleric per day, though the cleric may grant up to three blessings depending on their level. A cleric may grant himself one or more blessings if desired.
If the blessed character performs and action that goes against the beliefs of the cleric’s deity or their tenets, any remaining blessings are immediately revoked, and the cleric cannot bless the character again until they perform some sort of atonement (GM discretion).
Played the original OSR back in the 80's and never looked back, though paused a couple of times.
Ninja Bear

Post by Ninja Bear »

My rules are fairly small but the main rule (or ruling) is fun. Are the players enjoying themselves? Also some of the House Rules might break if I was able to play the game long term but I try to finagle a game now and again and its very episodic so I’m not concerned about long term balance.

-Dwarf and Halfling M-U are a thing. I’ve messed with balance but gave up worrying about it. Besides, I’ve got cool minis.

-Two weapon fighting. I just allow characters with 2 weapons to add +1 AC in melee only. I’ve seen the rule in the supplement but that seemed overly complex for a Basic game.

-Max HP at First Level. And again at Second Level. The kids party decided to all become Elves after the first game. Max HP gives them a little cushion but combat can still be deadly.

-I’ll let the characters try anything even outside their class if possible. I’ll warn them first if there might be bad consequences if they attempt it.
Ninja Bear

Post by Ninja Bear »

I forgot to mention that I award full XP for parlaying monsters and avoiding a fight. If they can resolve the conflict without drawing a weapon? That should be rewarded.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I have a House Rules Document that I utilize. It is quite dated, and not completely updated. For instance, Chelonians are still named Kappa the document. In addition, there are parts that I don't really utilize these days (such as the overhaul of the XP described in the document).

Feel free to cannibalize.
Attachments
Smoot House Rules Document 2.pdf
(298.45 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
tkdco2

Post by tkdco2 »

Good stuff there, Smoot! Thanks for sharing.
Ninja Bear

Post by Ninja Bear »

Another thing I forgot to mention was that I’m also feeding players information that the character may know but the players do not. I’ve mentioned a few things in game such as “as an elf you know ….”. My Older son I told him and given a bonus to roll “as a thief this looks likely for a trap”. I still ask questions if where they’re looking and for what. The magic user could definitely say the shield the fighter found was magical however since they were out in the woods he couldn’t identify how specifically it was magical.
Ninja Bear

Post by Ninja Bear »

I just realized that I might’ve given a bit more for free with the M-U and made Detect Magic kinda useless. Then I thought of a solution. The shield is of elven made hence that is why the M-U can readily detect and confirm its magical since he’s an elf. He still doesn’t know what kind of magic till he tests it. Any other magic is unknown.
knottyprof2

Post by knottyprof2 »

Feats anyone?
I have a love/hate relationship with feats from 3.X and Pathfinder 1e era. I love them but hate the amount of time it takes to pick the best ones for a character. I am working on some rules for adding them to my BF game by making them cost XP to gain them and reworking some of the main ones from the core rules as well as adding some that replicate some of the class options for those versions.
From the get-go I can ignore any feat that adds bonuses to skills unless I can work it into a class ability like Climb Walls for the thief. Also not going to bother with magic meta feats as I already have a different house rule/system for dealing with magic/mana.
The goal is to create something characters can add if they want to spend the XP for them but completely optional and not part of the normal character creation/evolution process.
I also know there is a third-party OSE Feats product out there but I haven't ponied up the $ for it yet.