House Rules

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
knottyprof2

House Rules

Post by knottyprof2 »

Just curious as to other people's house rules that work well for their games, and even ones that didn't really work but was worth a try. I am coming up with a few for a game I am running with a friend (just the 2 of us).
Here are the following ones we are looking at.
Saving Throws
There is only one saving throw value which is the same for all character classes that then use the following modifications.
Level Saving Throw
2 - 4...........14
5 - 7...........13
8 - 10.........12
11 - 13........11
14 - 16........10
17 - 19.........9

Class Modifiers
Fighters: +1 versus Poison, Petrification, or Death effects
Thieves: +1 versus Area based effects and Poison
Clerics: +1 versus Paralysis and Death effects
Magic-User: +1 versus Spells or Spell like effects
Other classes would fall under one of these based on how close it matches in overall theme to one of the core classes. Druid would gain Cleric bonus, Assassin would gain Thief bonus, etc.
Race Modifiers
Racial modifiers apply generally as written. May need some tweaking, like for the Hobbit.
Ability Modifiers
Ability modifiers can be used when rolling for a saving throw, though only one ability modifier may be applied even if multiple may be applicable. Use the order given below to determine which ability modifier to use.
  1. Dexterity modifier is used for Area-based effects.
  2. Constitution modifier is used for Poison, Petrification, and Death effects.
  3. Charisma modifier is used for Charm based effects
  4. Intelligence or Wisdom modifier (whichever is higher) is used for Illusion based effects
  5. Wisdom modifier is used for spells and spell-like effects.
Saving Throw Conversion
Death Ray and Poison as well as Paralysis or Petrify would be treated as such listed above, basically, a Constitution based modifier being used for this one.
Magic Wands would fall under Spells and spell-like effects unless it’s effect would replicate something already covered. A Wand of Charm Person would use Charisma, a Wand of Fireballs would use Dexterity, etc. The same applies to Spells.
Dragon Breath would fall under Area-based effects and use the Dexterity-based modifier.
Weapon Mastery
Characters can increase their proficiency with specific weapons as they increase in levels as listed below. This increase in mastery grants several benefits over time. All characters can benefit from this, though fighters and fighter-based classes gain these masteries more quickly than other classes. Each time a character gains a mastery they may apply it to a single weapon with which they are proficient, and multiple masteries may be chosen for the same weapon, known as mastery levels.
Mastery Fighter Progression Progression for Other Classes
1.....................3rd..............................4th
2.....................6th..............................8th
3.....................9th.............................12th
4....................12th............................16th
5....................15th............................20th
6....................18th
Mastery Level & Effect
  1. +2 to Damage
  2. Increase damage die by one degree
  3. Melee: Parry one attack Range: Pinpoint Shooting
  4. one additional attack per round with the chosen weapon
Increase Damage Die by One Degree: The die used to determine damage is increased to the next logical step, i.e. d4 -> d6, d6 -> d8, etc. If the die is a d12, the damage increases to 2d8.
Parry: If the character is successfully struck with a melee attack by an opponent of same or smaller size, the character may make a saving throw using their Dexterity modifier to avoid the attack. This must be declared before damage is rolled for the attack. The character may only parry one attack per round.
Pinpoint Shooting: The character may use a ranged attack to either attempt to disarm an opponent within medium range or less or pin them to an adjacent surface (only available if using a piercing weapon). The character must declare what effect they are using and suffers a -2 penalty to the attack and the opponent is allowed a saving throw using their Dexterity modifier to avoid the effect. Even if the target avoids the chosen effect, they still suffer damage from the attack.
Ability Rolls Redux
Depending on the activity being performed, the activity roll will range from Easy to Impossible. The character rolls the number listed or above, then the check was successful. The character adds ½ their class level (round up) to the roll along with any applicable Ability modifiers as determined by the GM.
The amount of time required for the activity being checked and the actual difficulty level is determined by the GM. A natural roll of 1 always fails while a roll of 20 succeeds only if the character needed a 20 or less. Note that this should only be used in situations where the difference between success and failure is pivotal to the game at hand.
Difficulty Level Ability Check Required
Easy.......................................4
Moderate................................9
Hard.....................................15
Very Hard..............................19
You are kidding, right?.............24
Increasing Ability Scores
There is nothing in the Core book about increasing ability scores over time so we are currently in discussions for this one. My initial thought was anything of up to 11 could be increased at 1000 XP per point, Increasing anything up to 15 would cost 30000 XP, and anything to 16 through 18 would be 100000XP. The caveats would be that only one ability score could be increased at a time and only 1 point per session at most. This would allow low level characters to build up below average stats to at least get in the average range without too much hardship. The 30000XP was determined as it would be the average XP to go up in level around 6 or 7 and 100000XP for higher level characters to get into the exceptional (+2 or +3 range). Another caveat I am chewing on is to only allow up to 3 abilities to be raised to the +1 range (13-15) and one ability to be increased to the +2 and +3 range (16 - 18). I have come up with at least two other possibilities but they involve charts based on character levels which kind of defeat the idea of getting rid of charts if possible.
Cleric Turning
With the idea of getting rid of tables, I came up with the following.
General Rules
At 1st level, the cleric may attempt to turn a 3 HD undead creature or less. At 2nd level the cleric may attempt to turn a 4 HD undead creature or less. Every even level thereafter, the maximum HD of undead increased by 1. Once the cleric reaches 20th level, there is no maximum HD that the cleric may attempt to turn. If the Chance to turn has a value greater than 20, the cleric must roll a natural 20 to turn the undead. For every 2 points (round down) above 20 for the turning attempt, reduce the amount of time the undead is turned by 1 turn with a minimum of 1 turn.
Break Formula into brackets based on undead HD.
HD 1-4: 10 + (3 * Undead HD) – (2 * (Cleric Level – 1))
HD 5-7: 10 + (3 * Undead HD) – (2 * (Cleric Level -2))
HD 8-9: 10 + (3 * Undead HD) – (2 * (Cleric Level -3))
HD 10+: 10 + (3 * Undead HD) – (2 * (Cleric Level -4))
If the calculated result is 1, it is treated as a 2 as a roll of 1 is always a failure. Once the value is 0 or less, the undead can be automatically turned per the rules as written. If the calculated Turn attempt drops to -8 or less, the cleric may Destroy the undead per the rules as written.
Notes
This comes close to the Turning table in the book but it isn't identical. The math works out pretty well, but it can be a bit cumbersome as it isn't a simple formula good for all undead.
Owner, Publisher, and Creator of the Knotty-Works.
Played the original OSR back in the 80's and never looked back, though paused a couple of times.
teaman

Re: House Rules

Post by teaman »

I use the single saving throw as well, almost identically to what you have here.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
tkdco2

Post by tkdco2 »

I use the fighter options stated in B/X: shield bash, set spear vs. charge, double damage with lance if charging while mounted. I have thought of using two-weapon fighting and weapon specialization, but I haven't implemented those yet.

I have thought of using AD&D 2E unarmed combat for both B/X and BFRPG. These rules include punching and wrestling rules in the DMG and the martial arts rules in the Fighter and Cleric Handbooks.

As for standard character creation, I allow roll 4d6 for stats, keep best 3 and assign as desired. I also allow maximum hit points at level 1. I have been using those rules since AD&D 1E, so I don't see any reason to change it.
Seven

Post by Seven »

I let Cleric pray for spells as they need them instead of committing them to memory like the Magic-User do. The end effect is that they have more fun, they are more likely to find a use for their utility spells and they seems to run out of cure spells less often.
feveredmonk

Post by feveredmonk »

Seven wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:27 pm I let Cleric pray for spells as they need them instead of committing them to memory like the Magic-User do. The end effect is that they have more fun, they are more likely to find a use for their utility spells and they seems to run out of cure spells less often.
What does that mean - they take a full or partial round to pray and then they have the spell that round or the next one?
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

feveredmonk wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:44 pm
Seven wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:27 pm I let Cleric pray for spells as they need them instead of committing them to memory like the Magic-User do. The end effect is that they have more fun, they are more likely to find a use for their utility spells and they seems to run out of cure spells less often.
What does that mean - they take a full or partial round to pray and then they have the spell that round or the next one?
No, thinking it means Clerics can choose whatever spell they want to cast (round to round). Like a spontaneous caster, they can simply choose from the cleric spell list (from the appropriate level, that is).
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
tkdco2

Post by tkdco2 »

That's how I usually handle clerical spellcasting. I also allow them to bind wounds once a day per level. It's a nonmagical ability that can restore 2 hp to an injured character.
knottyprof2

Post by knottyprof2 »

tkdco2 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:05 pm As for standard character creation, I allow roll 4d6 for stats, keep best 3 and assign as desired. I also allow maximum hit points at level 1. I have been using those rules since AD&D 1E, so I don't see any reason to change it.
We used the 4d6 drop lowest for stats and assign as desired as well. I am not big on full hit points at 1st level but my one player (have possibly one or two more) wanted it so I figured it wasn't a battle I wanted to fight and I wanted him to feel good about his character starting out.
Owner, Publisher, and Creator of the Knotty-Works.
Played the original OSR back in the 80's and never looked back, though paused a couple of times.
FakeHealer

Post by FakeHealer »

knottyprof2 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:57 pm
tkdco2 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:05 pm As for standard character creation, I allow roll 4d6 for stats, keep best 3 and assign as desired. I also allow maximum hit points at level 1. I have been using those rules since AD&D 1E, so I don't see any reason to change it.
We used the 4d6 drop lowest for stats and assign as desired as well. I am not big on full hit points at 1st level but my one player (have possibly one or two more) wanted it so I figured it wasn't a battle I wanted to fight and I wanted him to feel good about his character starting out.
You could roll and give a minimum, so d8 could act like a 1,2, or 3 is actually just 4 to avoid a fighter rolling one on his HD. Another way I have seen is making all low rolls the opposite...so like a d8- rolling a 1 counts as an 8, 2 as a 7, 3 as a 6, 4 as 5....5,6,7, and 8 are just what they are. That way you get higher hp but not just maxed. Only at 1st level though. I do allow rerolling at any level if a 1 comes up but only once per level so roll a 1 on the reroll and you just have to eat it.
therealt

Post by therealt »

SmootRK wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:01 pm
feveredmonk wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:44 pm
No, thinking it means Clerics can choose whatever spell they want to cast (round to round). Like a spontaneous caster, they can simply choose from the cleric spell list (from the appropriate level, that is).
While I like the idea of this capability for a lower level cleric, does it give anyone pause at higher levels? In the Cleric base spell list there is nothing like a MU's use of Death Spell or Disintegrate, but I could think of much mischief spamming Quest, Blade Barrier or Wall of Fire.