Megadungeon at Ropecon '22

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Tommi Brander

Megadungeon at Ropecon '22

Post by Tommi Brander »

Hello all,

I and a couple of other referees ran a game of megadungeon exploration at Ropecon, the largest roleplaying convention in Finland. (Rope as in roolipeli, not a rope in the English sense of the word.) We did not use basic fantasy rules, but the megadungeon I built mostly from various BFRPG adventures, adding corridors here and there to combine them. The megadungeon is at Google drive and the fact that the BFRPG adventures are available as as fairly simple text documents played a big role here. We ran an open table with about 6-12 players all the time, and I even ran a second table for a couple of hours. We aim to have two to three congruent tables next Ropecon, as the demand was great.

You can find how I placed the adventures in relation to each other here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

(Just ignore the words in Finnish you do not understand.)

Some notes

The adventures have a lot of boxed texts and those have a fair deal of extra stuff. Makes it hard to use them like this, when it is impossible to remember all room contents by heart and one needs to quickly understand what is important and what is going on. I did preliminary pruning before play and during and after play we are going for a much more minimalistic style.

Ropecon takes three days. I used Cave of the unknown as follows:
Friday: Orc attacks, orc attacks to a cave.
Saturday: A merchant offers 800 gp reward for saving her daughter! Also 100 heroism xp for her and the same amount for the maid.
Sunday: The daughter is now a zombie.

I had placed Endless tunnels of Enlandin right under Cave of the unknown, with the pit and the (here non-false) doors in the entry chamber to the zombraire's caves leading to the topmost level of Enlandin instead. This diverted the two rescue parties that managed to diplomatize their way through the orcs, while at least one party instead made an unorganized and unsuccessful attack at the orcs. The daughter was not rescued and is now a zombie for further use of the megadungeon.

The unfinished Megadungeon adventure is also something that saw a fair bit of use, with some groups finding their way to the Olde (not island) fortress and Nameless dungeon.

Cave of the unknown has a heavy implied plot it tries to steer the players towards, so I had to do some surgery there. I also removed some of the bonus sexism and such to make the text shorter and easier to use.

The hit points boxes and numbers of wandering monsters have turned out to be useful. Right now I am restocking the dungeon(s) after the expeditions and considering how and why I should decide how many wandering monsters repopulate each part of the dungeon, or maybe whether new creatures arrive.

Just a small report and a thank you note to everyone who has been working on this stuff. Your material is not the most innovative in the OSR, but it is usable and in a useful format.
Last edited by Tommi Brander on Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dimirag

Re: Megadungeon at Ropecon '22

Post by Dimirag »

Moved to workshop

Link require access request, please make it open to everyone, and even better, upload a file version to the post as sometimes external access die and we loose whatever was been shared.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Tommi Brander

Post by Tommi Brander »

I updated the link. There is not much there; just a diagram about which dungeons were set next to each other.

The megadungeon itself is in a mix of English and Finnish, with new material and changes appearing in Finnish. If someone wants access, we have a Finnish-language Discord server for using and updating the dungeon; just ask if you are interested.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

If there's any way you could export a copy of the English translation and attach in this thread, we'd appreciate it.
If you prefer to wait until (near) completion, that is understandable, but until then this will be moved to General Discussion.
Tommi Brander

Post by Tommi Brander »

We do not have an English translation: we use the English language modules as a baseline and , when modiying them, write the modifications in Finnish, since that is the primary language this is used in.
(The move to workshop was a strange one. This is more of a play report than anything else.)
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Tommi Brander wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:21 am (The move to workshop was a strange one. This is more of a play report than anything else.)
In my defense, I thought a file describing the full process was shared on the closed link...
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

You are talking about my long-unfinished Megadungeon? Cool!
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org