Setting DCs for saving throws

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Shaldlay

Setting DCs for saving throws

Post by Shaldlay »

Hello there, I'm an amateur DM planning on running a couple of games with this system.

As someone who has come from 5e, many of the materials I bought are for 5e, and I want to run those adventures with this game's rules. Now, things like monsters and such are fine, I use the stats listed in the core book, however, for things like skill checks, that's a bit more complex.

There are several moments when the module says "a DC 15 X check is required to do Y", however, I don't know if I need to change these to be more friendly with BFRPG characters or if I need to leave them as is.

5e has a chart where it lists DC with how hard the challenge is meant to be:
5=easy
10=normal
15=rough
etc.

Is there something like this for BFRPG? Thanks for any help :D
“Why are you stopping?” ‘Breakfast’ “You’ve already had it.” ‘We’ve had one, yes, what about second Brekfast’
Dimirag

Re: Setting DCs for saving throws

Post by Dimirag »

Welcome to the forum.
For Saving Throws just ignore the DC and use whatever Save makes sense, or use one of the optional rules for saving throws (the 3 saves if you want to go 3.x style or the 1 save if you want to keep the ability modifier)
https://www.basicfantasy.org/showcase.cgi?sid=74

For Skills the OSR is "rule it on the moment", most GM will use a 1 in 6 chances or some similar mechanic.

There are several Skills optional rules ig you want to add them to the game. Check the Download and Showcase pages for them.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
teaman

Post by teaman »

In terms of skills, you can have PC's roll at or under their appropriate attribute. So instead of an acrobatics skill, they just roll under their dexterity.

One easy way to keep a lid on this is to have the DM decide who should make the roll. For example, wizards should make the Intelligence rolls to decipher an ancient book. Barbarians and rangers (and maybe even elves) might use Wisdom to track in the wilderness. This helps prevent skill dogpiling where everyone tries everything and someone eventually succeeds (whether it is plausible or not).
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
tkdco2

Post by tkdco2 »

Page 153 of the rulebook has an ability check you can use in place of DC. Remember to add your ability bonus. Note that it is level dependent, so high-level characters usually succeed more often.

But if you want to incorporate the DC method for instances other than saving throws, it shouldn't cause too many problems.
knottyprof2

Post by knottyprof2 »

Or you can just port over the 5e DC mechanic as mentioned in OP. I am using that for ability checks, so characters just add the appropriate ability score modifier to the roll and compare against the DC required. While not the Old School mechanic, it is your game and the GM sets the rules (as long as players are aware of such changes so they aren't surprised). I am using the DC for ability checks in our game (5 easy, 10 moderate, 15 hard, 20 very hard, 25 next to impossible). If you want to stay true to the BFRPG rules, then use Saving Throws and the optional Ability Checks in the back, but you don't have to be constrained by it. Personally, I am staying away from the d20 skill mechanic overall (3.x, Pathfinder, 5e) so characters can't put points into individual skills and I am just allowing players to pick the general backgrounds of their characters to see if they can do something or know something, need to make a die roll, or just can't do it.
Owner, Publisher, and Creator of the Knotty-Works.
Played the original OSR back in the 80's and never looked back, though paused a couple of times.