Point-Value Overland Movement

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Point-Value Overland Movement

Post by Solomoriah »

EDIT: Realized today that I have in fact made a supplement and just not shared it. So it's attached below.

I'm not ready to make a supplement or anything. Just musing, really. It's a hassle when using hex maps to keep track of movement, since the rate varies depending on the terrain. The obvious solution is to use a point-cost system. My initial cut looks like this:

This is just the standard movement table with an added column. You would use those point values with these costs:

The costs for "clear, trail" aren't exactly right; they are a bit high in some columns, in fact. But the only alternative that makes them "right" would be to triple both point costs and allocations and I'm not interested in doing that.

The nice thing here is you can move from hex to hex by "spending" remaining movement points, and you know when you can't make it to the next hex because you're out of points. Of course, you could double your point allocation by forced march, though I'd argue that you should only be able to double your remaining movement unless you started out forced marching first thing in the morning.
Attachments
BF-Point-Based-Movement-r2.pdf
(125.65 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
BF-Point-Based-Movement-r2.odt
(26.69 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
tkdco2

Re: Point-Value Overland Movement

Post by tkdco2 »

Excellent! This is really useful, especially since I award xp for travel in some of my games.
GrimlinJoe

Post by GrimlinJoe »

Love to see this. I've been struggling in the past when trying to run a hex crawl as to how I would address the traversing of hexes. Me and my players couldn't come to an agreement so we held off on doing the hexcrawl instead. I think they will be glad to see this.
Rookie555

Post by Rookie555 »

I really dig this idea. I've been wanting to run wilderness adventures for a while, but the rules for doing so had made me not do them at all.
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

This is great. I like the point system.
Everything was going well until the Anti-Paladin tossed the Halfling overboard in an attempt to distract the Kraken.