What makes a setting unique or distinctive?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
tkdco2

What makes a setting unique or distinctive?

Post by tkdco2 »

That's a question I struggle with a lot. Names of countries and gods aside, there has to be enough detail to make cultures distinct, so it the game actually feels like a (say) Forgotten Realms or Dragonlance game instead of some generic fantasy.

You can make a case about having specific creatures (like Draconians in Dragonlance) or organizations (such as the Harpers in the Realms) making the game unique, but not every DL/FR game will include these elements.

You have a bit of wiggle room if you use one of the official game settings, but what if you want to set your game in Lankhmar or Middle-earth? What can you do to make sure your players feel like they're adventuring in those worlds as opposed to a generic fantasy set in those places?
Ninja Bear

Re: What makes a setting unique or distinctive?

Post by Ninja Bear »

I think just adding things that players mention is a big thing. My youngest saw a model I have of a Lizard man (which I always liked). He said that he looked like a giant kobold (which I have a bunch of). I think that we decided to refer to it as an Ogre Kobold.

I haven’t gotten to use him yet. They don’t know it yet but on the wandering table a certain mobile exploding plant may come up to them.

So its things like that that will set our world apart from others.

Oh, I decided that this world elves have more of Ultra Violet vision than Dark Vision. They can see by the stars fine but in caves? They’re just like humans. I’ve considered changing goblins and their ilk and Dwarves also but haven’t considered yet.
tkdco2

Post by tkdco2 »

Monsters are definitely one way to go about it. I'd use different creatures for a sword & sorcery game than for a high fantasy game, or at least vary the descriptions and abilities for some of them.

I also like to add a couple of unique details to cities and towns. It's nothing major; just a few features to avoid making the city/town seem generic.
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

Ninja Bear wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:07 am I think just adding things that players mention is a big thing. My youngest saw a model I have of a Lizard man (which I always liked). He said that he looked like a giant kobold (which I have a bunch of). I think that we decided to refer to it as an Ogre Kobold.

I haven’t gotten to use him yet. They don’t know it yet but on the wandering table a certain mobile exploding plant may come up to them.

So its things like that that will set our world apart from others.

Oh, I decided that this world elves have more of Ultra Violet vision than Dark Vision. They can see by the stars fine but in caves? They’re just like humans. I’ve considered changing goblins and their ilk and Dwarves also but haven’t considered yet.
I've done something similar is a few games. I switched dark vision from all none underground dwelling races to low light vision. It means if there is any light source strong as or stronger than a candle, they can see with no penalty.

This means elves and half elves have low light vision while dwarves have dark vision. Orcs and other goblinoids that are not penalized in light have low light vision while those that take a penalty for seeing in the light, have dark vision.
Ninja Bear

Post by Ninja Bear »

I’m thinking of doing something with Hobgoblins. They seem to be really left out in the wind so to speak. Thinking about making them the “evil” elves. That’s going by if Hob means elf then put with goblin means elf-goblin. My kids aren’t that much into Fantasy that they are looking for Drow so I can use parts of Drow to make Hobgoblins different.
otterterror

Post by otterterror »

Ninja Bear wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:23 pm I’m thinking of doing something with Hobgoblins. They seem to be really left out in the wind so to speak. Thinking about making them the “evil” elves. That’s going by if Hob means elf then put with goblin means elf-goblin geometry dash world My kids aren’t that much into Fantasy that they are looking for Drow so I can use parts of Drow to make Hobgoblins different.
That's a fantastic concept. I'm considering adding a few distinct elements to cities and villages. Just a few details to avoid the city appearing generic.
otterdisaster

Post by otterdisaster »

Ninja Bear wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:23 pm I’m thinking of doing something with Hobgoblins. They seem to be really left out in the wind so to speak. Thinking about making them the “evil” elves. That’s going by if Hob means elf then put with goblin means elf-goblin. My kids aren’t that much into Fantasy that they are looking for Drow so I can use parts of Drow to make Hobgoblins different.
You could partially explain it as a linguistic shift Elf>Alv>Halv>Holb>Hob. I like stuff like that as it can explain why they are called Hobgoblins, but are of elvish descent. We see things like that in real language families so it makes a certain amount of sense, in that the language changes over time, but from a common origin.
Tazer_The_Yoot

Post by Tazer_The_Yoot »

I make an effort to make my setting mysterious and unique, but honestly the things players gravitate towards and obsess over are sometimes unpredictable. I had a player new to fantasy a while back ask me "Where do Orcs even come from? Why are there things like that in the world?" I didn't even present their existence as a mystery. This particular player decided to be interested in them of her own accord. Of course I encouraged her to investigate it in-character by interacting with NPCs, asking about lore and such, but she's still in a remote starter village so the locals don't know much about them except that they're dangerous and have been around as long as anyone remembers.

Just goes to show you that what's old hat and milquetoast to me and you may not be so for any potential player you may have. We may be desensitized to Dwarves, magic and such but we shouldn't assume everyone coming to the table it. If it's new to them, then it's new and exciting. Don't always need to reinvent the wheel.