Looking for Group: BFRPG Christmas One-Shot, Santa's Workshop

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Dustinian

Looking for Group: BFRPG Christmas One-Shot, Santa's Workshop

Post by Dustinian »

I'm looking for 2 to 5 players for an online, one-shot, Christmas-themed BFRPG session!

Summary
  • System: BFRPG
  • Quest: Something's amiss in Santa's workshop...
  • Date: December 27, 2022.
  • Time: 7:15PM EST (UTC -5).
  • Duration: Reserve 4 hours, but I'm targeting 3 hours.
  • Online: Google Meet (with the RPG Meet Chrome Extension)
  • One-Shot: This will be a one-session, one-shot game, not an ongoing campaign.
  • Content: PG
  • Questions: Reply to this thread.
  • Player Count:I'm looking for 2 to 5 players.
Game
This will be a Christmas-themed dungeon crawl featuring Santa, elves, and... others.

House Rules
Instead of a 5-ft grid, the dungeon will take place in 14 rooms laid out as a hex-crawl. I've made a few tweaks to BFRPG to acommodate a more abstract dungeon; you can find these rules on page 2 of the attached Players Packet PDF.
Note: That PDF is a DRAFT. It's mostly good, but incomplete in parts. This game is partly a playtest for me.

Characters
Please either choose a pre-generated character or create your own character with the guidelines below.
  • Pre-Generated Characters: I've attached a Player Packet to this post with pre-generated characters for every legal combination of race / class, including:
    • Dwarf: Cleric, Fighter, Thief.
    • Elf: Fighter, Fighter/Magic-User, Magic-User, Magic-User/Thief, Thief.
    • Halfling: Cleric, Fighter, Thief.
    • Human: Cleric, Fighter, Magic-User, Thief.
  • Create Your Own Character: Please follow these guidelines to create your own character:
    • Experience: Each character starts with 5,500 XP
      (Humans start with 6,050 XP because of their 10%
      racial bonus).
    • Abilities: Assign these ability
      scores as you like: 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8.
    • Hit Points: Each character has the "maximum"
      HD roll for level 1, and the "average" HD roll for
      every subsequent level, rounding down (add CON per usual).
    • Starting Gold: Each character starts with
      150 gold pieces to purchase mundane
      equipment.
Technology
  • Device: Any device that can run Chrome Version 88 or higher (required for the RPG Meet extension).
  • Software: We'll play this game in Google Meet, and you'll want to use Google Meet in the Google Chrome browser so that you can install the RPG Meet extension.
  • Chrome Extension: RPG Meet for dice-rolling.
  • Printer: I recommend that you print both your character sheet and the "Player's Map" on page 22 of the attached Players Packet, but this is not required.
Accessibility
I'm not an expert in accessibility, so forgive me if this section has errors or thoughtless issues:
  • Breaks: I intend to break for 10 minutes roughly halfway through the session (at about the 90-minute mark).
  • Hearing: Google Meet offers real-time, voice-to-text captioning. I've used this captioning for work, and—while not perfect—it is good.
  • Speech: People unable to speak can use the integrated chat.
  • Sight: I'm not sure if RPG Meet is accessible without sight, but if you have your own dice-rolling solution, you can roll dice on the honor system. I won't be sharing my screen or a map, so if you have a way to track the relative position of 14 rooms, you should be good to go.
Safety / Disclosures
  • About Me: I'm an experienced GM in-person and online... with friends. I've only GM'd strangers four times, online twice.
  • PG: This game should be rated PG. Think Indiana Jones or Harry Potter. Examples:
    • Language: Let's limit it to "damn" and "hell." Try to think of fun alternatives to more serious profanity... "thrice-damned," "balderdash," "by Moradin's unwashed socks!"
    • Violence: People get hurt and die in combat, but death is sudden (not lingering) and wounds aren't gruesome.
    • Sex / Sexual Violence: Will not come up.
  • Content Warnings: This game will include violence...
    • Descriptions of Combat: If you don't think you can handle listening to the narration of fantasy, sword-and-sorcery combat, or narrating combat yourself, this isn't the game for you.
    • Player Character Death: This is an old-school game, so the encounters are not balanced. PC death is possible.
    • Non-Player Character Death: Depending on the actions you take (and how the dice fall), you may also be too late to save some NPCs that you might like to protect. If you don't think you can handle that result, this isn't the game for you.
  • Inclusion: I think inclusion is an important topic, and this will be an inclusive game. Every courteous, conscientious player is welcome.
Heard enough? Still want to play in this game? Please PM me your e-mail address so that I can invite you to the game.

Anticipated Questions
  • Why Google Meet? No real functionality reason... I'm just comfortable with it. And enough about this experience will be new for me that I'd like to keep some of the logistics familiar.
  • Why "standardize" character ability scores / starting gold / etc.? That's not Old-School! No, it's not. But, in my opinion, all that 3d6-in-order stuff is great fun in a trusting group of players who are confident that others won't be bothered by their less-than-effective character. But for a group of strangers? Let's kill that anxiety. Besides, I don't think the ability scores make a TON of difference, anyway.
  • What will you do if a player misbehaves? Gosh, I hope this doesn't come up. But I was asked this question once by a very shy player at a convention before I ran a game, so I thought I'd include it here to reassure anyone with similar fears. If I think something goes a little too far, I expect I'll ask that the player ease up. If I think something goes way too far, I'll just remove the player from the session.
  • Will you use safety tools? Yes, but I don't expect to be watching video at all times, so I'm worried I'll miss an "X-Card." Instead, I'll ask everyone to use the phrase "let's move along." And "let's move along" can mean anything from "Oh my God, this is so boring, why are we negotiating the price of ale!?" to "Okay, this is making me cringe, let's get to the next scene."
  • Why is this post so long? I think 3 to 4 hours of time is a HUGE commitment to strangers, so if a long post helps set expectations a little better to ensure everyone gets a little more fun out of their 3 to 4 hour investment, then I want to write that long post.
  • Do you do voices/accents? Sometimes! But not well!
  • Do I have to do voices? No! Not at all!
  • Do you have the entire BFRPG system committed to memory? Ha! No! But I've GM'd a LOT of D20 (AD&D/OSRIC, 3.5/Pathfinder, 4e, 5e, C&C, BFRPG), so I won't be making it up as we go along, either.
Attachments
HA1-Holiday-Dungeons-Player-Packet-r01.pdf
(1.1 MiB) Downloaded 72 times
Dustinian
Dustinian

Re: Looking for Group: BFRPG Christmas One-Shot, Santa's Workshop

Post by Dustinian »

Just a quick update: Three players have signed on. I have room for maybe one or two more, and then I'll post an update and close this.
Dustinian
toddlyons

Post by toddlyons »

Dustinian wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:47 pm Just a quick update: Three players have signed on.
I just wanted to thank Dusty for running a great game for us tonight. It was intriguing and fun and unexpectedly deadly. He's got a series in mind and I'd be thrilled to have another go next year!
Dustinian

Post by Dustinian »

toddlyons wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:12 pm I just wanted to thank Dusty for running a great game for us tonight.
Thanks for playing, Todd! I had a great time with you and Benjamin! You were both great players. Thank you both for helping me tune up my skills at "online" GM-ing!
toddlyons wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:12 pmIt was intriguing and fun and unexpectedly deadly.
I looked into the extra ability I gave Krampus, and it was "Ice Storm" that was so powerful. I thought I'd given him a white dragon's breath weapon because that had been my original idea. I'm going to go back to that; it will still be challenging but not as immediately deadly. I had run this dungeon once before, and Krampus was a pushover. It seems I've over-corrected!
toddlyons wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:12 pmHe's got a series in mind and I'd be thrilled to have another go next year!
When I get my next holiday dungeon ready, I'll be reaching out to you both (and posting here)! If you play Garek again, he'll definitely still have that Red Ryder +1 Short Bow!
Dustinian