Gamesmaster Reference

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
shaneward

Gamesmaster Reference

Post by shaneward »

Hi all! Long time no chat. I'm just jumping back in here, and hoping to spend more time around the forums, helping out, writing, etc.

After watching a few GM binder videos on yt, and discussion with a fellow OSR GM, I started to think about creating a handy dandy GM reference. By the sounds of it a LOT of binders are campaign specific and things generally get pulled in and out as time goes on.

In regards to BF, I thought it might be nice to compile the following:
* All encounter tables from the rules
* Create a few good open ended tables (things like tavern, elf, dwarf names, NPC quick build) all those types of tables that make running the game easier. Honestly the more tables the better, and that would likely be a community thing.
* Strict records! In the downloads section there are a few very handy one off sheets that cover what is going on in the campaign.
* I believe there is an spreadsheet file that lists all monster stats which could easily be ported in landscape for handy dandy quick reference.
* Obviously things like a sheet of graph paper, then the next page having just lines that can be hand written into. Same goes for hex paper.

So maybe I'll get on this!
Hope all is well with everyone.
Check out my little OSR Blog when you have time http://3toadstools.blogspot.ca/
Kane

Re: Gamesmaster Reference

Post by Kane »

This would be pretty trivial to make in an office word program. Just get the ODTs, cut out the parts you want, format and arrange to taste, and print it into a booklet at Office Max.

I definitely like 'game event sheets' - session tracking sheets, experience sheets, time use out of adventure, expenses, etc. but for the most part these sheets are just a set of empty tables headers, if you're not particular about the font you could probably make them with notepad.

I used to print out lots of sheets, but anymore, I read everything on a tablet, I keep on my notes on a laptop, and a blank word document is more versatile than a printed sheet - I can add pictures, attachments, combine them all into a record reference PDF at the end of every session of adventure, etc.

I used to print out little booklets for each PC with OSR play tips and handy references, but in my experience most players are either going to read the book or they're not going to read anything.
Trippy

Re: Gamesmaster Reference

Post by Trippy »

I would be very interested in this. Just starting out in BFRPG (about to run an adventure for my 6yo, 10yo and wife).