Solo OSRing?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Kane

Solo OSRing?

Post by Kane »

I have been looking again at solo dungeon/hexcrawl options. I'm a big fan of the Mythic GMLess books, but they leave something to be desired on the statistics front. I've had Four Against Darkness since the revised edition came out, and I think I might have an adventure book buried in the closet. Unfortunately, 4AD is solely a dungeon-crawler and doesn't have anything to say about the broader world.

I've thought of using 4AD for the dungeon side of things and using various procedural hexcrawl and Mythic to expand the game to include more. But, if I am going to be doing all that stuff outside of dungeons it seems to me I might as well just skip 4AD and go for a full fledged OSR anyway, which will give me needed additional information about languages spoken and so forth.

I tend to do my solo plays as scene-by-scene creative writing driven by procedural generators and pre-made content, I would like to see a version of 4AD dedicated to hex-crawling (like Barbarian Prince or something) and wilderness adventuring.