Using Heroquest with Basic Fantasy rules

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Nyudrev

Using Heroquest with Basic Fantasy rules

Post by Nyudrev »

Hello,

my name is Peter and I live in Belgium. Having grandchildren reaching gaming age, I thought of using my fotocopied 1970's edition D&D basic rules (my nephew had the box set), only to find we somehow used it for scratch paper for said kids. In the end I found and bought into Basic Fantasy.

I would love some input in using the gaming board, models and pieces and even the scenarios of the old Heroquest game but with BF stats and rules, maybe expanding the intro's to each advenure and stocking up the dungeons. It would give me a good visual aid and quick start for younger (and older) kids, I think.

Has anybody had this idea?

Peter Verduyn (aka Pjotr Nyudrev)
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Using Heroquest with Basic Fantasy rules

Post by Solomoriah »

If I had access to scans of the HQ materials I'd take a stab at it. Unofficially of course.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

They can be use to play BFRPG, but I think using BFRPG adventures may lead to some issues, as the HQ board is very shape-specific, you'll need to modify the adventures to fit the board and furniture.
As for the minis, they are totally usable but you may end up with a mini that has no BFRPG match.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Nyudrev

Post by Nyudrev »

Thank you for the input. I think I can manage converting most miniatures with BFRPG stats or paste on stats from similar creatures. Staying with the HQ scenarios is a short term option, but indeed in the long run the board is to specific.
Conclusion: one can use BFRPG rules for HQ scenarios, but you can't really use BFRPG scenarios on the HQ board. But it's a good start.

Happy Gaming
Pjotr
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

As long as works for you, that's what matters. 8-)
And if it encourages you to buy more battlemats, minis, etc. then even better! :D