A Manifesto of Sorts, which is a Plan as well

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Dimirag

Re: A Manifesto of Sorts, which is a Plan as well

Post by Dimirag »

Its a move to cut their loses and attract some of the ones that flew away.

Going back after a massive team effort for independence would be insulting, and a show of bowing heads to their "apology".

And I think we are better moving on without them, even if one forgets them, something hars to do, and even if its done, thrust will take years of effort to be regain, an effort I don't see them doing.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
bobcatt

Post by bobcatt »

Everything they have released "for free" must be that which they don't see earning any meaningful revenue from going forward. Grognards will play the old, discontinued, unsupported D&D while the cool kids will play the new, fully-supported, all-digital D&D. Any attempts to incorporate/adopt material from the new version outside of its walled garden will be met with litigation.
--- playing AD&D since 1980, former class clown ---
coureur_d_bois

Post by coureur_d_bois »

Well the Creative Commons of SRD 5.1 is an unexpected plot twist to say the least. It is actually good news for us since it means that we might be able to keep some original monsters/spells/magic items iconic to the original game. I would still stay away form the 1.0a OGL though cause you never know what their next scalawag move might be.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Much of the "flavor" they are freeing consists of things I doubt they were sure they could protect.

... video tonight, maybe. Going to talk about it.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
slaberdab

Post by slaberdab »

Looking forward to it
"It's truly, truly been... a very long roundabout path."
Jim1804

Post by Jim1804 »

coureur_d_bois wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:03 pm Well the Creative Commons of SRD 5.1 is an unexpected plot twist to say the least. It is actually good news for us since it means that we might be able to keep some original monsters/spells/magic items iconic to the original game. I would still stay away form the 1.0a OGL though cause you never know what their next scalawag move might be.
100% But can we keep owlbears? Even as one option on the revolving "bird-animal hybrid" monster chart?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

As far as I'm concerned, we can keep them.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

bobcatt wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:01 pm 3.0 or 3.5 SRD? That was before my return to the tabletop. I can only find the 3.5 version.
they pulled the 3.0srd in 2002 or 3 whenever it was they released the 3.5, it's still legal to use it, but they stopped putting it on the SRD website, I actually expected them to do the same back when they first released 5.0 SRD but **shrug**
No matter where you go...there you are
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

This is a tactical retreat, not a surrender, Paizo and even Chaosium were selling more than they could print because of the backlash, it was hitting their bottom line, I think the SRD released entirely was a knee jerk that's probably going to cost someone their job (but it IS a good thing for people who want to play 5e) pretty much for everyone else it doesn't actually change much...
No matter where you go...there you are
bobcatt

Post by bobcatt »

Paizo sold 8 months worth of PF2 books in 2 weeks. Outstanding response from the community.

Glad Chaosium is still around after that KS debacle. Their system isn't to everyone's taste but it does the job well. Enjoyed playing Pulp Cthulhu.

I'll reserve turning cartwheels until WotC's current statements are all down on legal documents. I had commented elsewhere that regardless of what course WotC took, the tabletop gaming landscape would be forever changed. No one will trust them going forward.
--- playing AD&D since 1980, former class clown ---