"Sneak Attacks" for Non-Thieves

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Alex15

"Sneak Attacks" for Non-Thieves

Post by Alex15 »

Hello! If a non-thief managed to get behind an opponent that was unaware of them, and tried to attack, how would you rule in such a situation? I feel it would get a larger benefit than just attacking from behind, since the opponent isn't even aware of them, but I wouldn't want it to rival the thief's ability. Thank you!
Dimirag

Re: "Sneak Attacks" for Non-Thieves

Post by Dimirag »

Welcome to the forum!
BFRPG rules. page 46 wrote: Attacking from Behind
Attacks made from behind an opponent usually receive a +2 attack bonus. This does not combine with the Sneak Attack ability (see the Thief, above).
There's no extra benefit for a victim's unawareness for non-thieves.
If you add such extra, it should be added to thieves also.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
teaman

Post by teaman »

Maybe let them try a "Move Silently" first. Now, a thief has that ability at 25% at first level. Since it goes up by 5% per level early on, have a non-thief roll it at 20%. That's still a 1 in 5 chance.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
Alex15

Post by Alex15 »

Dimirag wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:58 pm Welcome to the forum!
Thank you!
Dimirag wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:58 pm There's no extra benefit for a victim's unawareness for non-thieves.
If you add such extra, it should be added to thieves also.
Ah, that makes sense! I think that might be an interesting modification to experiment with in the future, though I'm not doing any right now since I'm just getting into BFRPG.
Alex15

Post by Alex15 »

teaman wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:58 pm Maybe let them try a "Move Silently" first. Now, a thief has that ability at 25% at first level. Since it goes up by 5% per level early on, have a non-thief roll it at 20%. That's still a 1 in 5 chance.
That's an interesting idea! I was wondering how a non-thief might try thieving abilities like moving silently and such, and this seems like a good way of doing it! Thank you!
teaman

Post by teaman »

Alex15 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:28 pm
teaman wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:58 pm Maybe let them try a "Move Silently" first. Now, a thief has that ability at 25% at first level. Since it goes up by 5% per level early on, have a non-thief roll it at 20%. That's still a 1 in 5 chance.
That's an interesting idea! I was wondering how a non-thief might try thieving abilities like moving silently and such, and this seems like a good way of doing it! Thank you!
Most welcome, and welcome aboard!
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
Alex15

Post by Alex15 »

teaman wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:10 pm
Alex15 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:28 pm
Most welcome, and welcome aboard!
Thank you!
Seven

Post by Seven »

Alex15 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:42 pm Hello! If a non-thief managed to get behind an opponent that was unaware of them, and tried to attack, how would you rule in such a situation? I feel it would get a larger benefit than just attacking from behind, since the opponent isn't even aware of them, but I wouldn't want it to rival the thief's ability. Thank you!
The thief bonus is limited to stabbing weapon.
I would argue that if the victim is armoured, there is no great advantage.
Also, if the attacker is armoured, the victim will likely jump out before the blow lands.

The reflex when one hears a noise from behind is to flinch.
My dog, for example, jumps by a couple of feet if there is any noise behind her.
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

The only real advantage a non thief should get for sneaking behind an unaware enemy is getting a surprise roll, and the +2 to your attack roll from attacking from behind
No matter where you go...there you are
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

The standard +2 to hit makes my players all giddy... I don't think they need more.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org